Help! My weight loss has slowed to a crawl!

Options
After hitting my first mini goal of 20lbs, I've only lost 0.7lbs in the last three weeks. I believe I've hit my first plateau, it's frustrating. Anyone have tips or advice how to bust through a plateau?

Replies

• gastricballoonguy
    gastricballoonguy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll help you understand what's potentially going on here. When you lose weight often around 10% of your total weight your body will slow your metabolism, increase your hunger, you'll absorb more energy from the food you consume in a bid to gain that weight back. This is a survival mechanism as our brain doesn't know If you are intentionally restricting or stuck without food.
    How many calories are you at now? How strict have you been? Are you being consistent with your movement/exercise? Have you noticed any non scale victories? Clothes fitting differently etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As you lose your body gets smaller and you need fewer calories. You may need to update your daily calorie goal. Because you've said you've lost 20 lbs. this comes to mind.
  • RMUNTZ2
    RMUNTZ2 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try the Keto diet.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    RMUNTZ2 wrote: »
    Try the Keto diet.

You mean try the method of dieting that limits calories by eliminating certain high-calorie foods (pasta, bread, sugar)? Or, people could just count their calories in and calories out and make sure calories in < calories out. Then they can still enjoy a wide variety of foods and not feel deprived.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,153 Member
    Options
    RMUNTZ2 wrote: »
    Try the Keto diet.

You mean try the method of dieting that limits calories by eliminating certain high-calorie foods (pasta, bread, sugar)? Or, people could just count their calories in and calories out and make sure calories in < calories out. Then they can still enjoy a wide variety of foods and not feel deprived.

The method that gives the impression of a quicker rate loss because of lost water weight, is what I would add 🤪

OP will hopefully give more context (time-line of previous 20lb loss, personal stats, activity level/ exercise, number of calories consumed...) so we can answer in more detail.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well I'm late replying, the past two weeks I've lost weight, this week little over one pound. I'm actually cutting my carbs, but it doing away with them all together, dirty keto is what I call it. I try to stay under my calories by 200-300, usually 1300-1900 daily. My activity is knull, my main reason I'm trying to loose weight is to get feeling better, I've bad arthritis in ankles and knees on top of PTTD in one ankle.