Maintaining, but still losing

Options
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm 5. ft. 10 in. and reached my goal weight of 68 kg. pretty easily, but I just keep losing. Should I panic? I had two days where I went 600 calories over my goal to try and gain weight back, but I still seem to keep on losing. I'm doing that thing where I weigh myself in the mornings and then after a week, I add 100 calories extra to my daily calorie goal. Is that the way to do it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Should I panic?

no, you should just eat more food
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks. It's just hard to figure this stuff out. I sit at a desk all day, but then I commute in London, which means i'm usually walking and running up stairs about 30 minutes or so out of my day. I exercise, but then I do intense stuff, whilst myfitnesspal seems to put them down as low-end stuff. i.e. I do a 50-minute bootcamp reformer pilates once a week; 1 50-minute jivamukti yoga class once a week and a 40-minute spin class once a week. So it all feels a little complicated.

I'm 5 ft. 10 in. and weigh about 63.5 kg. at the moment, but this is terrible because I lost my chest and now starting to see more bone than I would like to see. I started maintaining at 1500, then 1550, then I did 2 weeks at 1600, then one week at 1700 and just changed my calories to 1800 and had two days where I went 500 calories over my goal just to try and stop the weight loss.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    This might be a dumb question, but have you readjusted your MFP settings and calorie goals to maintenance level?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sensible way to do it to me. But I don't think there's anything to really panic about. Your body may just be settling into its natural weight.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Yes, but then they say my calories should be at 1750 if I'm sedentary and 1990 if I'm lightly active. So I'm not sure, with my activity level, what I should do?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you might want to think about trying some strength training instead of all that cardio.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • sklebar
    Options
    Yes, I am eating back my exercise calories and I can't really lift weights because I'm a retired athlete, I have so many injuries, every time I attempt them, I mess up another joint, so that's why I do the bootcamp reformer pilates, as it's a tension workout with lighter weights.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, but then they say my calories should be at 1750 if I'm sedentary and 1990 if I'm lightly active. So I'm not sure, with my activity level, what I should do?

Slowly raise cals until weight stabilizes.

It could take a while to nail this number down, as your BMR might rise a bit when you come out of a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Lol. Thanks. It's just hard to figure this stuff out. I sit at a desk all day, but then I commute in London, which means i'm usually walking and running up stairs about 30 minutes or so out of my day. I exercise, but then I do intense stuff, whilst myfitnesspal seems to put them down as low-end stuff. i.e. I do a 50-minute bootcamp reformer pilates once a week; 1 50-minute jivamukti yoga class once a week and a 40-minute spin class once a week. So it all feels a little complicated.

I'm 5 ft. 10 in. and weigh about 63.5 kg. at the moment, but this is terrible because I lost my chest and now starting to see more bone than I would like to see. I started maintaining at 1500, then 1550, then I did 2 weeks at 1600, then one week at 1700 and just changed my calories to 1800 and had two days where I went 500 calories over my goal just to try and stop the weight loss.

i am 5ft5 and 133lbs and i maintain on NET 2000 cals - so 2300 on exercise days.

enjoy the fact you can eat all the food, i do!

and ignore MFPs maintenance figures - it says i should maintain on 1600 cals, so its a bit low!!!
  • mjslingsby
    mjslingsby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure what your activity level is you might want to get a step tracker. I have a FitBit Flex - I thought it might just be an expensive toy at first, but it's shown me how variable my daily activity is. I have it set to sync regularly with MFP (via fitbit.com) and when I'm busy I often get an extra 450 calories to eat whereas other days it even takes some off my goal. I'm in maintenance mode too and using the tracker and MFP seems to be keeping my weight pretty stable as long as I eat as close to goal as possible.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Thanks, I think that helps me. I've just raised it to 1900 calories per day and see how I get on with that and just do a daily weigh in. I've also eaten sugar for the first time over the weekend and today to see if that bumps me up and kick-starts getting a little weight back on. I'll adjust again in a week's time and let you guys know. Thanks for all of the questions, comments, guys. Sometimes you need the outside perspective to really see what you're doing with yourself.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Slowly raise cals until weight stabilizes.

It could take a while to nail this number down, as your BMR might rise a bit when you come out of a deficit.

Pretty much this.

It's very much a trial and error thing, Up your calories by say 100 a day for a month, then if you are still losing, up them again. You will eventually find that right amount. No TDEE calculator is 100% accurate.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. The tracker thing and just really upping your calories I think is the best way forward. I'll do that and see what happens.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    You might find your maintenance level is WAY higher than what MFP sets it to. I'm 5'9 (almost) and I'm still losing on 2000 calories a day. Hope you find your balance :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I've also eaten sugar for the first time over the weekend and today to see if that bumps me up and kick-starts getting a little weight back on.

sugar wont make a difference if you havent eaten enough calories overall.
  • sklebar
    Options
    So, just an update, only if anyone is interested. I have been bumping up calories by 100 calories each week to try and stabilize my weight and I lost weight again, so now ramped it up again and see what happens. I think I'm a bit more at the level I should be and analysed that I wasn't getting enough fats in my diet and also that I need to not be scared of carbohydrates such as bread and wholegrain foods. It's gotten to the point where even my boyfriend thinks I've lost too much, so here's to trying to put weight back on.
  • sklebar
    Options
    Hmm that seems like a good idea. I put my activity level to lightly active at the higher weight I want to get back to and then will see how this works at maintenance level. I've been bumping it up every 4 to 5 days.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi, I went through the same thing. My maintenance is much higher than I thought it would be. I agree to keep adding calories and maybe have a couple of days where you go over. Maybe have a really nice meal out, but don't worry about the calories :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing. I ended up that my new maintenance weight is 11 pounds below my original target and I have maintained it for over a year now. I have weeks when the scale is up a pound or so and then down a pound or so. I wear a Nike Fuel Band to count all my activity and convert it to a calorie burn - also a rough estimate. If I am having a particulary bad string of weeks where the scale keeps going down, I up my calories with more avocado, nuts or additional scoops of protein powder.

I keep my activity level up as much as possible so I will sleep a solid 6-8 hours . Which in turn helps me maintain my weight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and I'm losing weight at eating 1600 a day and eating back my exercise calories. You should be eating 2100 or more a day to maintain... go to the scooby workshop website and put your data in and see what your maitenence calories should be.