soup!

Options
i love soup and would be very grateful if you could share your low fat/carb yummy soup recipes! my particular favourite at the moment would be a chunky tomato and basil yum!

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    super easy: sauté onions and celery, add cooked quinoa, cooked chicken breast, chicken broth, fresh lemon zest and juice, top with an egg ( beat, cook into a tiny omelet and julienne) and fresh parsley. S&P as desired :bigsmile:

( I used egg beaters instead of the whole egg :wink:)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lentil-soup-laal-daal-251611

Lentil Soup:

This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2-3 green chillies (depending on how hot you want it, you can easily skip it)
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp salt

Ingredients for Tadka (to put on top of the soup)

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
    Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)
    I recommend adding some lemon or lime juice if you're eating it like a soup. Add it after cooking

Estimated nutrition facts (just my own calculations):

For the entire recipe (using 3 tbsp oil)
    Calories: 838
    Fiber: 44 grams
    Carbs: 112 g
    protein: 34g
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    I have no idea if these are low carb, I will post later, but
    Kidney bean soup (for the protein)
    And butternut soup ( could be replaced with pumpkin)
    I also love to throw in a pan to simmer parsnips and carrots with veg stock then just blend it, yummy!
    I will post full recipes later as I have to go out now :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Lentil Soup:

This recipe is shared by my sister who learned it from my mother. Unlike most of the curry/soup type recipes, this is a dish I donot recommend eating with rice. You can eat this like soup or eat with bread to make it an entree. Hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:

1 cup red Lentils (These are tiny red colored split lentils, easily available in most stores)
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp salt

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 whole red pepper (The one thats shaped round but any dry WHOLE red pepper will work, DO NOT use pepper flakes)
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Take the red lentil, add the onions, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cook it till the lentils are tender. This kind of lentil cooks faster compared to most, I'd say about 30 minutes. Once the lentils are cooked and tender, you can add salt and tomato puree and cook it for another 5 minues while stirring the soup. Your lentils are technically cooked but for more flavor, you need to add Tadka to it on top. Turn off the soups heat and in another pot (or small fry pan) prepare tadka

Tadka Recipe:
    Heat the olive oil. When its hot, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic. The garlic and onions should be very very thinly sliced, the finer the better. Cook it till the onions and garlic is golden/red color then immediately add the cumin seed and the red pepper. Let the seed and pepper cook for about 15-30 seconds and then dump it all in the soup.

Your delicious soup is ready to be served, you can use some good bread to dip this into and enjoy :)
    I recommend adding some lemon or lime juice if you're eating it like a soup. Add it after cooking

This sounds awesome!
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    i have to bump bc soup is awesome!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Curry carrot, sweet potato soup!
    http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000000521968,00.html
    (Sub the chicken broth for veggie broth and it is vegan!)

Would be really delicious with some hearty wheat toast... yum
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a bag of (fresh) cut minestrone soup vegetables at Wegmans. I'm excited that the weather here in NY is going to be cooler tomorrow, because I'm ready for soup. The instructions on the bag say to sautee in a tablespoon of olive oil, then add chicken broth, rinsed canellini beans and diced tomatoes. I use no salt added diced tomatoes (Hunt's) so that really cuts down on the sodium. That's the worst part about soup for me. Sodium makes me bloat, and I love the stuff. The only really carby ingredient are the beans. We are having a rotisserie chicken for dinner tonight, so I'll probably take the leftover breast meat from that and throw that into the finished soup as well. The instructions say it takes about 25 minutes total. Easy peasy!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Lentil Soup:

Ingredients:

1 medium onion
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1/4 tsp turmeric powder
    1/2 tsp salt

1 small onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tsp cumin seed
    1-2 tbsp olive oil

Recipe:

Tadka Recipe:

Yum. I love daal. Definitly keeping this one! I usually use Aarti's recipe from Food Network, but yours looks much quicker. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Oh - what about liquid for the lentils?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I needed a really low calorie lunch yesterday to prepare for a big dinner. Here's the soup I made:

1.5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (1.5 cube)
    1.5 cups water
    3 baby carrots, sliced
    1.5oz Tyson Oven Roasted Chicken Breast cubes, frozen
    1/2c baby spinach

Throw everything but the spinach into a small pot and heat until near boiling, about 5 minutes depending on the starting temperature of the water. This will thaw and heat the chicken and partly soften the carrot slices. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute until slightly wilted. Eat.

84 calories
    6g carbohydrates
    1g fat
    11g protein

While tasty, it wasn't filling in the slightest. If you need something more filling, try doubling the amount of chicken or adding some dry pasta or rice at the beginning. Let the soup come to a full boil and add the noodles or rice to cook according to package directions. If they absorb too much of the broth, just add more water and bouillon.