Why do i feel so guilty eating so much.

Options
james6998
james6998 Posts: 743 Member
This is not exactly a common issue i am sure. I woke up this morning and could not get this out of my head. Most of you know i bodybuild which requires a very high amount of protein. Even though i am set up with a calorie deficit i still end up eating a lot of food. We have very limited funds and I feel that eating so much food is being selfish in a sort. We have bill collectors knocking at our door and i am concerned with getting enough food to eat. I feel guilty every time i open a can of tuna. My wife does not give me a guilt trip but she does get concerned on having enough groceries. I really don't mind being a poorer folk, sht happens in life that we can not control and my disability was one in ours. When i do not work out I am eating only 1950 calories, which for me is really low. Maybe i can't afford to build my body at this point in time? Anyways more or less just a post to get things off my chest.

Replies

• Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could look for cheaper alternatives?

Try frozen meats etc? I don't know a lot about bodybuilding, so Im not 100% sure on what you can and can't have. Definatly put your family first though! Yes you would like a dream body, but as long as you are a healthy weight, thats all that matters right?

Sorry - I just realised, you said you have debt collectors at your door.... Yes you should be cutting back!!!
  • james6998
    Options
    Maybe you could look for cheaper alternatives?

Try frozen meats etc? I don't know a lot about bodybuilding, so Im not 100% sure on what you can and can't have. Definatly put your family first though! Yes you would like a dream body, but as long as you are a healthy weight, thats all that matters right?

Sorry - I just realised, you said you have debt collectors at your door.... Yes you should be cutting back!!!
    The chicken i buy is frozen and its 5$ a bag, honestly I don't know how much tighter i could cut things
  • Nicola1944
    Options
    You said you have debt collectors calling at your house, that's it! Stop trying to bulk up, or whatever it is (Sorry for my ignorance there, I genuinly do not know alot about bodybuilding), and just be healthy! Maintain the weight you have. You don't need all the protein etc.... Eat what your wife eats! If you are married, its a partnership.... She's worried about paying the bills and your worried about getting your protein? Weigh it up and sort your prioritys out!!

So sorry if i sound harsh, I feel for you, but i feel for you wife more!!!

Just maintain, be fit, be healthy, then when your in a better position, go back to bodybuilding.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The cheapest and best

Ramen noodles + tuna .

Sorry to hear about your financial struggles mate , keep strong and don't let anything bring you down . Life throws these obstacles , just show life how tough you really are.
  • james6998
    Options
    The cheapest and best

Ramen noodles + tuna .

Sorry to hear about your financial struggles mate , keep strong and don't let anything bring you down . Life throws these obstacles , just show life how tough you really are.
    I don't eat ramen noodles they upset my stomach and the tuna we get is 1.17$ a can. This really is just my mindset, my wife thinks i am crazy, before our diet we would only eat 1 meal a day (supper) just to keep from spending money on groceries. Ever since i got hurt and couldn't work we have been dodging bill collectors, hell we have already gone bankrupt 8 years ago.A life lesson. Just because you never did anything wrong, doesn't mean you won't suffer.
  • Nicola1944
    Options
    I know! Its always us good guys that get the bad luck isn't it? :(

I appreciate your in a hard position, and you really want to do this for yourself.... But i think you should stop it asap, put your wife/home/bills/debts first, and then work on your body from their!

Seriously.... You answering your own question here... You need to stop.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If your wife was trying to lose weight and was buying special diet products that cost more than normal food, would you expect her to stop that until you got the bills under control? If the answer is yes - then you need to rethink your bulking foods.

We all need to have something for ourselves, and being broke shouldn't mean stopping living and simplyexisting, but if this is an area where you could save some cash and get the bill collectors off your *kitten*, then you need to think about it.
  • Nicola1944
    Options
    If your wife was trying to lose weight and was buying special diet products that cost more than normal food, would you expect her to stop that until you got the bills under control? If the answer is yes - then you need to rethink your bulking foods.

We all need to have something for ourselves, and being broke shouldn't mean stopping living and simplyexisting, but if this is an area where you could save some cash and get the bill collectors off your *kitten*, then you need to think about it.

Agreed!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    OP - I had to give up the gym last year as I was far too broke, managed to rejoin a few months ago (at a new place at half the price!) now things are a bit more stable, I hope you find a middle ground, I know how much it sucks having money issues....
  • james6998
    Options

Actually there isnt we live on a total of about 1600$ a month, how little do you think i should spend every 2weeks on food. Btw this was a diet for her, i just jumped onboard and since i wasn't filling up with useless carbs i decided to eat proper which was the result of this mindset. Sure i can go back to eating only when she gets home from work but that will only result in 1 of us being healthy. We are always going to be in dept because i was screwed by the system. I made my peace with that. I will go hungry if it means my wife meeting her weight goal, she has 100lbs to drop.
  • Nicola1944
    Options

Actually there isnt we live on a total of about 1600$ a month, how little do you think i should spend every 2weeks on food. Btw this was a diet for her, i just jumped onboard and since i wasn't filling up with useless carbs i decided to eat proper which was the result of this mindset. Sure i can go back to eating only when she gets home from work but that will only result in 1 of us being healthy. We are always going to be in dept because i was screwed by the system. I made my peace with that. I will go hungry if it means my wife meeting her weight goal, she has 100lbs to drop.

Aw thats lovely of you to speak to highly of her!!!

1600 sounds like average... but im from the UK so i guess thats half of what it would be here?

Maybe continue eating healthy, but cut back on the expensive (relative to your financial situation) proteins etc? If either of you are at a gym, cancel and go running/jogging/walking/working out together?
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband also wants to get into body building, which would require eating an astonishing amount of food.

Although we do not struggle, we definitely cannot afford for him to eat 5 chicken breasts a day with copious amount of tuna etc. So for now he has had to make do with a shake, which for 2 scoops and full fat milk is around 700 calories - maybe you could do that?

Also, if you are living as tightly as you possibly can then don't feel so guilty about it, it's not like you don't give a ****, you are trying. Hang in there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Well, you certainly shouldn't jeapordise your health to save money - there's no point saving a buck if your doing it to your physical detriment. Your first post read like you were spending over and above a normal healthy diet, hence me saying that IF this was an area you could save cash, then think about it. I never said you should stop eating well.
  • Nicola1944
    Options
    My husband also wants to get into body building, which would require eating an astonishing amount of food.

Although we do not struggle, we definitely cannot afford for him to eat 5 chicken breasts a day with copious amount of tuna etc. So for now he has had to make do with a shake, which for 2 scoops and full fat milk is around 700 calories - maybe you could do that?

Also, if you are living as tightly as you possibly can then don't feel so guilty about it, it's not like you don't give a ****, you are trying. Hang in there.

Great idea! :) Didn't think of suggesting shakes!!!
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OP: If you google: bodybuilding on a budget, there are tons and tons of articles, videos, and blogs dedicated to the very thing you are struggling with.

Best of luck finding the balance between budgeting and building :)
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good on you!

And me too--
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I hope that both you and your wife can find a way to be healthy that is within your budget. Health should be a priority, and being 100lbs overweight is not only unhealthy but could also lead to more expenses down the road.

Sounds like you need to consider what health means to you -- fitness, strength, muscle hypertrophy, or simply being a healthy weight. Undereating is unlikely to be healthy for you in the long term, but maybe there is a middle ground between depriving yourself and bulking.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Consume more whey and eggs. You can buy 4 lb cans of tuna from Walmart. Protein is somewhat over hyped anyway.
  • james6998
    Options

Great idea! :) Didn't think of suggesting shakes!!!

I eat 1 chicken breast a day 1 can of tuna and 1 shake unless i go to the gym then i have 2.
    Chicken is cut up into 3-4 100gram servings for max. effect to absorb. My gym membership is with the Ymca and they only charge me 10$ a month. Since i can not spend a large amount of time on my feet, all my exercises with the exception of legs are done seated. So jogging is sort of out of the question anyways lol. Believe it or not this is helping i am just realizing how foolish i am being considering i am not eating a large amount of food. I sure feel better then when i was only eating 1 time a day thats for sure.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Consume more whey and eggs. You can buy 4 lb cans of tuna from Walmart. Protein is somewhat over hyped anyway.

Genius!! U must be an assshole too?