Menopause and weight gain

Options
Hi. I have just turned 60 and I am feeling pretty down about my weight and lack of motivation.
I was always a consistent weight all my life but now I seem to be steadily gaining weight and am always tired and in motivated.
I am on HRT for my menopause.
Is there anyone out there having similar issues?
I’ve just joined MFP and hope to find inspiration and motivation here to help me get back to myself again.

Replies

• dlittlegen
    dlittlegen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am almost 60, have thyroid issues which leaves me pretty sluggish. I was always a small person, but age, thyroid, early menopause and a desk job are catching up to me. I am newish on this site. Good luck.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to feel sluggish while being hypothyroid. Go to your gp, demand better treatment. I know many will only look at TSH, say it's still within range and ignore how you feel. But you need to advocate for yourself here, because feeling normal and energetic is possible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I've had fatigue off and on for decades, mostly due to anemia. But fatigue is also an issue when I get into a pattern of not eating right for me, which for me is high carb and fat and inadequate protein and fiber, and not exercising regularly.

I know that it is very difficult to exercise when one is tired, but I do what I can. I focus on exercise that I enjoy, but I'm often unmotivated, and have to force myself to start. I also give myself permission to stop if I need to. I'm getting over a cold and thought my Sunday 60 minute Tai Chi class might be too much for me, but wanted to give it a shot. I warned the teacher I might not make the full class. I did stop after 30 minutes, but am glad I did that 30 minutes.

I have a whole range of lower intensity activity I can do when I'm just not up for more. For example, I walk the cat - he averages about 1 mph. It's better than nothing, and we both enjoy the fresh air.

I am a veteran and have access to yoga, Tai chi, etc., on Om Practice: https://app.ompractice.com/veteransaffairs
    When I'm not up for more vigorous yoga, there's chair yoga, gentle yoga, and restorative yoga. These don't burn a lot of calories, but are great for my mental health and back, and help with a positive upward spiral of activity.

I like to get cardio outside, but when the summer heat traps me indoors I get creative and look for projects such as cleaning a closet, decluttering the attic, painting, etc.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ps: I am 56, female.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    There was a super annoying diabetes commercial that used to trumpet “A body in motion stays in motion”.

Irritating in a commercial format, but so true in real life.

As we age, we fall prey to the whole golden years, you’ve earned a rest, oh it’s just menopause, yada yada. We slow down our movement, but not what we eat, and as a result our weight goes up.

If you’ll commit to something as simple as a walk every evening, you may find, as did I, that you want to add more and more movement.

People our age are on the cusp. We can either commit to better or continued good health, or become our parents, complete with barcolounger, iced tea or soda by our side, giant snack bowl, remote in hand, waddling painful walk, and a “weekly planner” with slots for all our meds.

I know that sounds harsh, but I saw it happen to my parents and that was what very literally got my *kitten* in gear. The day they got matching “lift” chairs was the day I knew they’d given up, and watched their slow, painful decline.

It’s up to you what side of the fence you want to come down on.

Yep, this is what happened to my partner's parents. However, I blame well meaning but misinformed medical professionals who utterly failed to convey the concept of "use it or lose it." Those lift chairs and other lifestyle measures sure did them a disservice.
  • lilgenee
    lilgenee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Inspirational ladies. I needed to read these. I had a shoulder surgery last April and had a procedure last Sept that put me into menopause. Before these surgeries I had been in PT for a year trying to avoid surgery but ended up losing muscle, and even more after the shoulder surgery. Though I watched what I ate and stayed as active as I could, with limitations the surgery and PT put in place. Before all of this I was muscular, fit and extremely active. I was released in Feb from PT, I worked hard to be released early, and have been weight training, walking almost everyday, storms are a no go. I’ve started on the cardio machines at the gym. If I have time and equipment is available. I just feel I’m struggling to lose the weight I’ve gained. I know it takes time. I’ve started meal prepping so food is ready when needed/hungry. I’m planning on checking lab work at my women’s health. But you all made me feel better with you success. I also agree it’s best to find a routine that works for you. Workout partners sound great but they do let you down and if not self motivated you won’t go either.
  • Doubled722
    Doubled722 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? You are at the age when hypothyroidism shows itself.

If there are no health issues, then discipline may have to take the place of motivation, at least until being more active becomes a habit. FWIW, I am 66 and am maintaining a 55 lb. loss. I walk a couple of miles a day and run 5 days a week. There are days I don't necessarily feel like exercise, but I do it because I love the way I feel afterwards. It also gives me freedom to eat more without gaining.