Recent odd posts

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
Does anyone else notice an increase in posts with helpful texts by users with names such as xdf8esdfs32s? It nearly looks like people are trying to use ChatGPT with a bot to automatically post to forums. I see the same kind of posts in other forums as well. Thoughts?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I've maybe seen a couple. There have definitely seemed to be posts that were written by a bot rather than a person... but it could also be someone pasting and copying an article by a bot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    I had some vague idea that maybe MFP's code would suggest a user name after someone made a couple/few tries and got notified that the names were already taken. I don't recall whether I've seen it do that, but I know that some apps do that. The apps that do it, the generated IDs tend to be stuff with random letters and numbers in them.

I've had some interactions here with people with those kind of IDs who didn't seem like bots, FWIW.

I'm not going to be specific, but I'd also admit that there are some apps (not socials) where I want a very anonymous/hard to guess ID, and use the "phrase with numbers" ID generation approach that some use for passwords. Example (not real): "Had 2 kittens in 1993 named Buster and Kate" becomes "H2ki1993nBaK".

No way to know.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Omg, how did you guess my passphrase 🙀🙀🙀

LOL, so...there was this breach...you could start a thread about it...