Anyone struggling to cut out sweets & foods with high carbs?

joshbu77
joshbu77 Posts: 1 Member
edited April 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone struggling to cut out sweets & foods with high carbs?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited April 2023
    Hi @joshbu77

You’ve posted your question on tech support. Take it over to nutrition, or weight loss board and you’ll get lots of help.

As a quickie (fair warning : even my quick answers are a mile long) , I was Queen of Carbs when I was eating 10K+ calories a day of mostly chocolate, cookies, candy, cakes, warm bakery breads etc.

When I firmly decided that’s it, this is over, I got them out of the house. Out of sight out of mind, but out of house total out of reach.

I sat down and thought about foods I enjoyed that were better alternatives. I created a low cal, healthy smoothie that tasted like a Wendy’s Frosty so I could pretend I was having a treat. It was so good it was a treat.

I made sure to keep fruit I liked in the fridge, freezer or on the counter.

I already liked cottage cheese- I just didn’t reach for it when candy was available. So I kept that in the fridge.

Discovered sugar free zero cal products. skinny Syrup rocked my world. I shed any concern over the “badness” of sugar free, because I was (and am still) convinced the extra hundred pounds I was carrying far outweighed any damage the chemicals or sugar alternatives might do.

Friend put me on to Nugo bars. Totally acceptable replacement for a candy bar, and due to the cost and satiety, I’m unlikely to eat the entire box at a sitting like I used to do

There’s a lot of things you can do if you’re willing to out thought and effort in to it.

It only took a few weeks to lose the sugar cravings. Oranges, strawberries, apples, blueberries taste SOOOOOOO much better when you don’t have the sugar ruling your life, too.

Every morning for breakfast I have high protein red velvet pancakes. I hit them with homemade cream cheese and sugar free caramel syrup and roll them up and pretend they’re Little Debbie Swiss Cakes. I love them sooooo much, I roll out of bed like “yay!!!!! Breakfast time!!!!”

1 serving is under 400 calories versus me sitting there and eating an entire box of Swiss rolls, which I would have done, no question about it. You do the math lol.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,107 Member
    Don’t keep those things in the house. Try things like Greek yogurt, fruit, etc. Diet drinks in moderation can be good for that sweet fix also without adding calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    For me, making it a point to increase my fruit intake helped reduce my cravings for higher calorie, less nutritious sweets like baked goods and candy. That doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen others here say the same, so it might be worth a try.

For me, it took a little willpower for a while (short number of weeks) to skip the less nutritious sweets, while I made it a point to get at least 3 fruit servings every day. After the adaptation period, I didn't crave the other things, and many of them started tasting too sweet and too simple. In the long run (like many weeks to months, maybe?) I could be more flexible with fruit servings, but keep the effect. I still eat quite a lot of fruit, though: It's good!

Nowadays, I do eat and enjoy the occasional less nutrient-dense dessert or treat, but it's more of a decision, not any kind of craving/compulsion. I can moderate those things without trouble. YMMV.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,842 Member
    Fruit and vegetables are high in carbs, as are starchy foods like potatoes, rice, pasta. Is there a reason why you want to cut them out? Or are you asking what to do because you feel like you're snacking too much?
  • healthierorbust
    healthierorbust Posts: 24 Member
    I think the difference is between carbs that are nutritious (fruit) and carbs that are less nutritious (candy and chips). Unfortunately, if you’re tracking macros I don’t think you can differentiate between the two. So you could eat a moderate/healthy amount of fruit, for example, but your carb percentage will seem high. Not all carbs are equal.