Reducing Carbs

Options
Hi,
I just wanted some advice about reducing carbs.
I want to end up on a low carb diet when I go back to university in two weeks time.
However I get really quite tired when I have tired to reduce carbs before and as a vegetarian I find difficult to eat high amount of protein without the carb aspect.
Do you think I should slowly reduce my carb intake to try adjust to it?

Replies

• hairpinanimal
    hairpinanimal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having lots of lentils? Or substituting the carb for a vegetable alternative (ie cauliflower for potatoes / rice; lettuce cups for bread, etc?)
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I replaced carbs with a veggie option. Spaghetti squash, Portobello mushrooms in place of pizza crust, butternut squash for French fries, cauliflower for mashed potato's or even rice. So you can have you protein, carb swap and a veggie. Good luck!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to, given there is no metabolic advantage in doing so?

And, from your avatar (I assume 'tis you), that you appear to be quite trim anyway ... Why?

I know everyone to their own body image and all that but reducing the carbs ... Why?

Look, I've done the whole carbz iz evil thing and there is no evidence for it. Get yerself a chip butty and relax. :)

Dismiss this as the rant of a madman if you like.

Chip butty though? Mmmmm? Sustainable? Oh yeh ... :)
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs. If you want to make a change, try eating more fiber and less starch.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Me likes this post. Well said

And I thank you :)

I've been down the road, I've read the quite persuasive stuff that implicates insulin and blood sugar and GI into the whole carbz = fat storage mode thing. Hell, I swore off of bread for a bit. Did Paleo, thought legumes were the devil, etc.

To what end? None really, no real body composition progress in the long term, could not stick with it and I was full of rules of what is good and bad to eat.

More rules bad, just fracking eat what you like but do it with awareness, it does all come down to energy balance in the end. Not some magical ratio of carbs/fat/protein.

And good luck to all.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs. If you want to make a change, try eating more fiber and less starch.

Fine advice too. :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether you need to reduce carbs or not but if thats your wish then maybe try eating more low G.I. carbs and also look for high protein non meat product (assuming you are a full vegetarian and not one that still eats fish) such as chick peas
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Rather than reducing carbs, it would probably be more beneficial to eliminate refined carbs and stick with whole grains. Also, some great vegetarian sources of protein include quinoa, beans and peas, nuts and nut butters, and tofu.