What Mg dosage did Wegovy start working for you?

Options
I keep hearing how well Wegovy works for people but im finding it hard to find out how long it took, or what Mg it took to start reducing appetite. My Doc wants me to lose a small amount of weight and lower my a1c ( 6.0 pre diabetic ). Anyway, ive been losing weight because im counting calories and doing alot of cardio, but Wegovy has not reduced my appetite at all, nor have i got any side effects. I am on week 7 on 0.5Mg. I assume after week 8 he will up me to 1.0Mg, just wondering when i will notice a decrease in appetite.

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    For a small amount of weightloss I'd question the docs reasoning.
    As ive mentioned, My doc prescribed it mainly to lower my a1c since i am pre diabetic. If you are not aware, Wegovy was originally prescribed for a1c. Weight loss was actually a side effect of the drug.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    As ive mentioned, My doc prescribed it mainly to lower my a1c since i am pre diabetic. If you are not aware, Wegovy was originally prescribed for a1c. Weight loss was actually a side effect of the drug.

Right, but you asked about appetite suppression. Unfortunately, nobody can answer that question, as it's individual. Basically, a level that's toxic enough that it makes you feel sick enough that you don't want to eat.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Right, but you asked about appetite suppression. Unfortunately, nobody can answer that question, as it's individual. Basically, a level that's toxic enough that it makes you feel sick enough that you don't want to eat.

what do you mean toxic? please provide context and at least a reference.... and your qualifications for making such a declarative claim. you said it with such confidence. are you a doctor or pharmacist?
  • Reddycap
    Reddycap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think people forget that Ozempic/Wegovy are more than just a weight loss drug for people that have diabetes. They also help the pancreas produce more insulin and the liver from dumping sugar. A diabetic can/is subscribed these drugs for other things besides weight loss.

.5 is the starter dose to help you get use to the medicine. Ozempic started working on suppressing my appetite at about 1.0 dose, with very little side effects for me.

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Reddycap wrote: »
    I think people forget that Ozempic/Wegovy are more than just a weight loss drug for people that have diabetes. They also help the pancreas produce more insulin and the liver from dumping sugar. A diabetic can/is subscribed these drugs for other things besides weight loss.

.5 is the starter dose to help you get use to the medicine. Ozempic started working on suppressing my appetite at about 1.0 dose, with very little side effects for me.

Thanks for the response. Actually 0.25 is the starter dose, then 0.5 ( im on 0.5 currently ) Hopefully it will start working for me at 1.0
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    Reddycap wrote: »

Thanks for the response. Actually 0.25 is the starter dose, then 0.5 ( im on 0.5 currently ) Hopefully it will start working for me at 1.0

The starter does for Wegovy (.25) is different from the starter does of Ozempic (0.5) which is the med Reddycap was/is taking and referring to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

what do you mean toxic? please provide context and at least a reference.... and your qualifications for making such a declarative claim. you said it with such confidence. are you a doctor or pharmacist?
    Anything that's excessive on intake by the body can become toxic to it. Including water (hyponatremia) if sodium isn't balanced out with it. That's basic human biology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    You were actively losing weight and your Dr. still prescribed medication? Well you won't get an argument from Novo Nordisk, more medication, more money, more better.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    You were actively losing weight and your Dr. still prescribed medication? Well you won't get an argument from Novo Nordisk, more medication, more money, more better.

Not sure who this is addressed to - but yes, if the person was prescribed it for blood sugar control.

If their blood sugars were not well controlled, then that is the purpose of the prescription,not weight loss.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 14
    Options

Not sure who this is addressed to - but yes, if the person was prescribed it for blood sugar control.

If their blood sugars were not well controlled, then that is the purpose of the prescription,not weight loss.

Yeah, no. Wegovy is FDA-approved specifically for long-term weight loss in adults. It can also be prescribed for long-term weight loss in children ages 12 years and older with obesity. It's weight loss that actually helps control blood sugar and increase insulin sensitivity and not wegovy. Wegovy helps control appetite hormonally which helps facilitate that weight loss through appetite suppression, and the end game for diabetes and blood sugar control is weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Am not all that familiar with Wegovy - but its cousin Ozempic is certainly first and foremost a blood sugar control medication

as such is prescribed to people who are not neccesarily struggling to lose weight.

as I said, was not sure who your post was addressed to.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 14
    Options
    Am not all that familiar with Wegovy - but its cousin Ozempic is certainly first and foremost a blood sugar control medication

as such is prescribed to people who are not neccesarily struggling to lose weight.

as I said, was not sure who your post was addressed to.

This post is talking about wegovy not ozempic. Maybe there's a few Ozempic posts on MFP you can enlighten people on the science and how it suppose to work.

Ozempic is still a GLP-1 antagonist and it's basically been used for it's ability as a weight loss drug for the most part. The basic problem is most obese people can't lose weight because yummy food is yummy and after the wegovy shortage people jumped on Ozempic and got similar results for weight loss, so call it whatever you feel comfortable with, it really doesn't matter to me.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    there were posts on this thread mentioning both and you didnt specify who you were replying to.

No, Ozempic is basically used for blood sugar control - that is its prescription on label use.
    Wegovy must also have that use, since it is same active ingredient.

Weight loss is a side effect and people are jumping on weight loss bandwagon - but poster upthread mentioned his doctor was putting him on it to lower HBa1c

I'm not calling it that because I am comfortable with it - I am calling it that because it is that.