Diet for CFS/Fibro (27 Years)

Options
I've been eating meals from a pre-made meal company and it helped me lost 50 lbs. since December 2022, but I can't afford it any more. The meals I chose were a mix of Calorie Smart and Keto, less Keto because of the fat content.

Is anyone out there dealing with being hypoglycemic, having no gall bladder and low Vitamin D (which also affects people who went through long-haul COVID). I was also tested for NAFLD and it came back positive. Every diet I go to seems to be Keto, but I used to survive on pasta and now when I eat a pasta meal I have to walk for 15 minutes to burn off the carbs or fall asleep for an hour or so. I can't see having a high fat diet working well without a gall bladder. I managed my CFS/Fibro for a couple of decades by simply not moving because it hurt too much (allergic to most pharmaceuticals so no pain meds). Now that I can deal with level 7/8 pain, I've been getting 3,000+ steps in a day (also have bad knees so I have to keep it between 3,000-4,000 to balance).

I still have a lot of weight to lose and I'm trying to figure out a diet plan. The whole reason I did the pre-made meals thing was I have horrible anxiety with food, food prep and trying to figure out what to eat. My current myfitnesspal food diary says I should get 275 carbs per day, but I'm usually 80-100 under that.

Does anyone have a meal plan they've used successfully being hypoglycemic, having no gall bladder and low Vitamin D (I don't seem to be able to absorb it very welll)? I'd greatly appreciate any links to meal plans other people with this odd combination of problems have used successfully. I'd like to do food prep for the whole week at one time and cook as little as possible. When my blood sugar drops, I need to be able to shove it in the microwave and have it ready quickly. I bought containers so I could freeze some of the food prep meals so they don't go bad. Luckily, I seem to be able to do breakfast without having a panic attack.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just read your post. Unfortunately the only advice I can give you is to hire a registered dietician and get a solid meal plan that you can move forward with.

All your questions should be answered quite successfully with a good dietician. Perhaps get all your questions drafted and sent to her/him prior to appointment so that nothing isn't missed.

Good luck my friend!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you can do low carb without doing high fat
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options

That would be a really bad idea though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options

Presumably you're recommending high protein, low carb, low or moderate fat approach when you suggest that? There's only so much protein a person needs . . . .

OP, how long ago was your gallbladder removed? IIRC, when mine was removed, they recommended low fat eating initially, but said I could gradually re-introduce more of it later, and see how things went. I was in the thick of weight loss around the time mine was removed, so already eating fat at the levels they considered low fat. I'm still not a huge fat consumer most of the time (7ish years on from both weight loss and gallbladder removal). I know it will vary from one person to the next, but FWIW, I've had days where my fat intake was really high (like eating deep-fried foods), without a problem. YMMV.

I have to say, I agree most with that registered dietitian suggestion, for someone with your complex health/diet situation. Will your doctor give you a referral to an RD? I hope so.