Average calories in a day

Options

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    800-1200 a day.

I'm 159 lb and 5'5", so this usually takes at least 2-2.5 hours of exercise. I <3 exercise. Right now I'm taking it easy because I started Insanity and I am SORE, so I'm sticking to that, walking, and yoga putting me around 800 calories. Once I'm used to Insanity enough to start jogging again, it will probably return to 1000+.

I use a HRM so I'm assuming I'm burning at least 75% of what it tells me. At worst accuracy I'm burning at least 600-900.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Mapmyrun told me I burned 1700 calories running yesterday. But I did run for two full hours.

Average 30 min run for me burns about 450-475 calories.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    i burn 200-500 a day
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I try and do an average of 60min of cardio 5x per week, I usually burn around 500-600 calories. I usually use the treadmill at the gym but I crank up the incline almost all the way.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    usually between 230-270 on treadmill with an incline at3.5 mph - 4 mph for about 35 minutes....that's according to my fitbit flex and treadmill readout...they are usually within 20 calories of each other.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    300-600 a day depending on the type of workout I do, when I run 4-6 miles I burn more, when I just hit the cardio machines at the gym I burn less because half my workout those days is lifting. If you want accurate burn data for a whole day maybe try the BodyMedia link band - that's what I use and it is very accurate for total daily burn. My HR moniter was also accurate for calorie burn during runs. Map my run and map my fitness were really really inaccurate for me, they tell you you've burned twice the calories you actually have much like the treadmill and elliptical machines at the gym.
  • HeartRN77
    HeartRN77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Usually 500-600 6 days a week strength and cardio
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I average between 800 and 1200 burned a day. I do spend a lot of time and effort to do that. I am cycling 6-7 days a weeks for 1 3/4- to 2 hours. Since i have a fast bike i use the calculation in MFP - as one effort lower. If i bike at an average of 15.5mph i count it as 12-14. That way i think it is fairly accurate if i am out pushing it for 2 hours - i should have burned about 1000 cal. If i am not satisfied with just the cycling - then i do gardening - weed pulling, picking up sticks, etc. I want to try to get to the 1000 mark per day to have some fun treats! i don't eat it all back - but usually at least half in case my calculations are off. Exercise is a big part of my weight loss program. When i reach goal, i will still exercise, but modify it. (PS - its working to get me in better shape!) Weight training will be next.
  • shazzahare123
    Options
    so why when I put in 60 mins hard swim it comes up with 1336 calories burnt?
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do between 200-500 most days doing a 5km run and a Jillian Michaels workout.

800 on bikram yoga days!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options

because MFP vastly overestimates the amount of calories burnt

Sometimes.

In her case, she is very over-weight. So maybe not.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ^^However, Ms. Swimmer.

You entered "Hard" swimming. I do not think that means what you think it means. Unless you are a very athletic person, I would use the lowest "swimming" speed possible for the calorie-burn.

Be realistic. You aren't setting records, right?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ...and Ms Swimmer, are you going Full-Tilt for 60 minutes, or swim/rest/swim slower/rest/ maybe one lap of All Out.??

Yeah. Thought so. :flowerforyou:
  • Foulou
    Options
    I am an amateur boxer. I just started in the last two years. The training constantly has me near my max heart rate of 190 in bursts.

I burn from 1100-1500 in about a 1 - 1/2 to 2 hour workout.

I am 30 years old, 6'1 , and around 235 pounds. I started off at 290 pounds. It has been coming off at a steady pace so I don't think my heart rate monitor is too far off the count.

The amount I've been burning with the same workout has been slowly dropping as I drop weight, but also my endurance has been increasing, so I can push myself a little further or do a little extra now.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm about 215-220 so when I do a 5K run, it'll burn about 400 calories (net)
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't use an HRM so they go off of MFP calories. On a weight day, I burn 150-250 and on a cardio day it's 300-450. I haven't actually hit 500 cal burned yet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    between 200-400 typically. I under-log on weekends when I'm much more active. Not drastically...but if I'm walking for the better part of 9 hrs I am not going to log 8-9 hrs of walking. I'll put in 3.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

The exercise database is grossly incorrect for many exercises. When I bought the Body Media Fit Link it turned out that an hour on my exercise bike, between 12 and 13 miles, at maximum resistance was actually burning just under 300 calories. MFP says 550. Thankfully I did not trust the database even before I bought the armband so I'd been cutting the amount it gave me in half.

Additionally, I'd seriously suggest you downgrade your assessment of your effort level. I know it SEEMS super hard, but you are badly out of shape. Clear eyed realism is your best friend.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Based on my HRM data (which, oddly, doesn't usually differ all that much from the MFP calculation, though I know that appears to be the exception) for the past 6 weeks, I burn an average of 436 calories per day. That includes rest days (where I burn and log 0 calories), as well as long run days, where I can burn >2200 calories. Just depends on the day and the run.