Help me - I fell off the wagon big time.

Options
Hi everyone,

Earlier this spring I started having major back problems. I vowed I would work though it and keep up my diet in spite of the lowered ability to exercise. But little by little my motivation waned. I maintained my weight pretty much all summer due to a job waiting tables at a country club, where there were plenty of healthy options to eat and I was on my feet all day. Now, I am back teaching, and I find myself extremely unmotivated to eat healthy and track my calories.

I put on a few pounds over the past two weeks, particularly after labor day weekend and now I am just 5 pounds shy of my original starting weight. I do not want to go back there, but at the rate I'm going...

At the advice of my physical therapist, I joined water aerobics, which is a good workout and is good for my back problems. It's just difficult to want to go because the class is literally FILLED with ladies 60 and up - many who have to use an electric lift to get in and out of the pool. They are all super nice and I'm happy for them that they stay active. And ironically I enjoy the class and get a good workout once I'm there. But there's this psychological hurdle of feeling weak because I work out with old ladies.

So here are my goals for just this week (I'm going to take it little by little):

1. Stay under my very reasonable caloric goal of 1630 every day.
2. Go to water aerobics 2 to 3 times this week.
3. Do the strength exercises that my PT recommended 3 times this week.
4. Do the stretches that my PT recommended EVERY DAY this week.

I'm looking for support in these goals. I feel like I'm starting all over again. Please help!!!

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I used to have back pain.

I found Pilates very helpful and it wasn't full of old women.
  • Missleece2u
    Missleece2u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm here for support. My name is Aleshia, my journey is just beginning. I started in July and so far am still on track. I have good days and so so days but am going to keep going no matter what, and having support has helped me come this far. Have a wonderful day
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow teacher! It can be really hard...work always messes me up. Great job setting weekly goals! We can try to encourage each other :)
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm an old woman and I know what you mean! LOL. However, that said, I did aqua fit many times over the years while in my 30s and 40s. Right now I am doing lap swimming with my SO&SO but the class just before the lap swimming is the aqua fit class and there are many older ladies there. One idea is that you look for another aqua program that has a younger crowd in it. Usually if you find a zumba aqua fit or water running class, the group is somewhat younger. You are only as old as you feel and if you don't get your back in working order, you are going to feel old a heck of a lot older faster. Take care of yourself and do what you need to do.
  • littlegem65
    littlegem65 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, too. I am here to offer support!! Like you, I do very well with my exercising and healthy eating in the summer, but once school starts, I struggle to fit exercise in…and then that leads to unhealthy food choices.

This year, I told myself, "You are going to put yourself first." I found a friend to text me in the early morning hours to tell me when she is heading out the door to exercise. I text her back when I am leaving for the gym. (We live in different cities.) When we are finished with out workouts, we text each other again and quickly state what we accomplished. Of course, there is always a positive comment or two, as well! --- I have found this strategy very helpful for me. I know Brenda is getting up at the same time and is counting on my text. And…in the past, I never seemed to be able to consistently get my workout in after school because of meetings, appointments, and my daughters' activities.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do NOT be swayed from doing water aerobics simply because the class has older ladies. If it doesn't hurt and it allows you to get your exercise in -- then that is what you should be doing. It is not any testament to you as a person or your ability. This mentality is the same that many folks face when going to a gym -- the intimidation of persons fitter and stronger. Rise above it -- and take pride in your willingness to do something that works for you.

Glad to see you back!
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the support. I'm planning on tracking everything today, no matter what...and heading to Water Aerobics at 6:30 sharp!
  • MissDarkness
    MissDarkness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did aqua aerobics for a while too and at 29, I was definitely the youngest by a mile - I stopped when I started a new diet for some reason, I think the reason I realised I had to do something about my body is what put me off aqua aerobics too- the fact that I had to walk past a gym window looking out onto the pool in my bathers. And I havent been back! Your post has made me realise though that I really need to get back into shape and try it again - I just need a new cossy now as mine is too big! :)