REALLY restarting...for real this time...

Options
My name is Allie, I am from Charlotte, NC. I moved here from Long Island in December, and cooking on a budget means a lot of pasta and refined carbs. Especially living with someone who doesn't eat meat. Or beans, or veggies. I'm cooking for a 28 year old "man-child". And eating like him. (I use man-child with love. He's a great man, just a picky eater. 4 year olds have a broader pallet than him. haha)

2dgn7ep.jpg

Ok, the picture on the left is me after 4 months of using MFP religiously. That was March 2012, and even after that picture I lost another 15 lbs for a total loss of about 50 lbs. The pic on the right is from this weekend hiking. A year and a half, and I put back on everything, plus some. :( So after seeing that, I am RESTARTING, counting, exercising, the whole 9 yards. I want to be healthy and make myself and my fiance proud.

So I'm doing it. And I'd love to have support in this.

I also was doing a group here for Ironman challenge. For the month, you log you bike, swim and run miles to total up to an ironman tri. Cant find the group anymore...

Replies

• alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I cant figure out the picture!!! :(

My name is Allie, I am from Charlotte, NC. I moved here from Long Island in December, and cooking on a budget means a lot of pasta and refined carbs. Especially living with someone who doesn't eat meat. Or beans, or veggies. I'm cooking for a 28 year old "man-child". And eating like him. (I use man-child with love. He's a great man, just a picky eater. 4 year olds have a broader pallet than him. haha)

2m6mp8j.jpg

Ok, the picture on the left is me after 4 months of using MFP religiously. That was March 2012, and even after that picture I lost another 15 lbs for a total loss of about 50 lbs. The pic on the right is from this weekend hiking. A year and a half, and I put back on everything, plus some. :( So after seeing that, I am RESTARTING, counting, exercising, the whole 9 yards. I want to be healthy and make myself and my fiance proud.

So I'm doing it. And I'd love to have support in this.

I also was doing a group here for Ironman challenge. For the month, you log you bike, swim and run miles to total up to an ironman tri. Cant find the group anymore...
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Request sent :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Gotta make those IMG lowercase. Weird, I know.

2m6mp8j.jpg
  • alliesun53
    Options
    now its too big...lol. oh man.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hello! I live in Charlotte also!!!

The most important thing is believing you can do it. I think you know that because you've done it before.

If you're looking for a partner for walking/running, hell even swimming let me know!
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Keep up the hard work!
  • Avason
    Options
    Hi! I'm restarting as well!
    Let's do this!
  • alliesun53
    Options
    YEAH! Fixed it. :) Ok, so theres the pic, left is BEFORE, right is NOW. Yuck. Motivation time.
  • alliesun53
    Options
    Awesome!! Definitely!
    Hello! I live in Charlotte also!!!

The most important thing is believing you can do it. I think you know that because you've done it before.

If you're looking for a partner for walking/running, hell even swimming let me know!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Could I make a suggestion? You clearly know how to lose weight. I'm sure you'll be sucessful again. But this time, at the beginning, start thinking about and developing your maintenance strategy. How are you going to maintain your weight loss? What daily practices or strategies will you use? Are you willing to make lifestyle changes permanent? Your maintenance strategy is every bit as important (maybe more so) than your weight loss strategy. In my opinion, most people regain the weight they lost because they didn't plan for maintenance and once they reach their goal weight they don't test and refine their maintenance strategies.

I'm in my second year of maintaining a 50 pound weight loss. It can be done! I wish you every success!
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great for you! You have the 2Hs... Honesty and Humor... good things to have on your latest journey.

I've been on MFP for more than 600 days... not all good but not all bad. I think logging every day has kept me from repeating the 'old days' of gaining everything back when I'm not being honest with myself. Now they are smaller gains.

Right now I'm reading a book I bought from a "3 for $10" bin of books at a grocery store. It's a study of people who have not gained their weight back for years. There is something they learned or achieved that we are still searching for, I guess. I look forward each night to a few chapters because I want to know how it ends! :-)

Good luck, and "friend me" anytime.
  • janewelshsoriente
    Options
    Hi

I just started today too! i read your post and your story could have been me. I lost 4 stones and ended up putting thelot back on again (and some) due to a really bad 18 months. i am now hopinig to get back on track. It woudl be great to invite you to be a friend if i knew how lol... am still trying to navigate myself around the site!!!

Good luck! x
  • alliesun53
    Options
    Could I make a suggestion? You clearly know how to lose weight. I'm sure you'll be sucessful again. But this time, at the beginning, start thinking about and developing your maintenance strategy. How are you going to maintain your weight loss? What daily practices or strategies will you use? Are you willing to make lifestyle changes permanent? Your maintenance strategy is every bit as important (maybe more so) than your weight loss strategy. In my opinion, most people regain the weight they lost because they didn't plan for maintenance and once they reach their goal weight they don't test and refine their maintenance strategies.

I'm in my second year of maintaining a 50 pound weight loss. It can be done! I wish you every success!

Thank you for the suggestion, and I actually did plan a maintence strategy...but putting it into practice, I got lazy and told my self a slice a pizza, a beer or 2, birthday cake "just this once" added up. I do know how to do it, what my body responds to (LOW LOW LOW carbs...carbs are awful for me...especially every single day.) But yes, long term and sticking to it is part of my plan.
  • alliesun53
    Options
    sent :)
  • cheriann94
    Options
    Hi I am starting again too!! We can do this together, we can do it, and we WILL do it!!
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you x
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request but want to encourage you that even on a budget you can feed your pasta eater without eating his pasta. I have celiac disease and four kids -– one in college. Canned veggies are better than no veggies and can be used to make lower sugar sauces for the pasta which you can than eat over a chicken breast, for instance. :) good luck on your journey and welcome to the South. We hope you love it here!
  • alliesun53
    Options
    Great idea...thanks!
  • AimeeBaumgartner
    AimeeBaumgartner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is so me! I've been gaining it back too because I'm a nervous person and I eat for comfort. I need daily support! Friend request me if you like and we can motivate each other!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend switching out refined carbs for whole-grain versions like whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, and brown rice. (If you're worried about your picky eater, start with versions of pastas and breads that are 50% whole grain to get used to the taste). Also, pasta is a great dish to sneak in all sorts of healthy foods! I love dicing up some zucchini or bell peppers. Also, you can always add a vegetable side dish to any meal just for yourself. And fill in nutritional gaps with snacks! If he'll eat nuts, I always love throwing a bit onto a finished dish, such as a stir-fry or rice dish, for crunch and protein!