Why can't I use the bar code reader?

Options
I've been a member of MFP for years (free membership plan). Now, all of a sudden, when I try to access the bar code reader, I get a prompt to sign up for the Premium Plan. Is the bar code reader now only for those who are Premium members?

If so, that seems like a real slap in the face to your loyal free membership members who helped get this platform to the popular site it is today.

Best Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,185 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's a premium feature now, yes. Has been since October last year, although some people seem to have had that update pushed to their phone later on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Wallelf56 wrote: »
    I've been a member of MFP for years (free membership plan). Now, all of a sudden, when I try to access the bar code reader, I get a prompt to sign up for the Premium Plan. Is the bar code reader now only for those who are Premium members?

If so, that seems like a real slap in the face to your loyal free membership members who helped get this platform to the popular site it is today.

Yes, it is now a premium feature...has been since last fall. Keep in mind that once upon a time MFP was developed and privately owned by the developer and his brother who had a vested interest in their own health, fitness, and weight loss. It was sold to UA in 2015 and more recently (2020) was sold to a private equity firm called Francisco Partners. As a holding in their portfolio, MFPs function is to generate revenue for the portfolio. The majority of apps are going this way...free access doesn't generate a whole lot of revenue, subscriptions do. MFP revenues are through the roof relative to what they were under private ownership and even relative to when UA owned them.

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    I guess I should turn off the auto update since mine still works.