Anyone else feeling weak at the gym?

Options
I'm mostly a cardio girl I can run 5+ miles stop for 20 mins and be ready to go again and recently i've been hitting the weight room at the local gym because even if my arms look toned they're not! I lift like 20-30 pounds and i'm done!. So everytime i'm at the weight room trying to do chest presses and other things I have to move the thing from Lvl 17-20 to lvl 3 and it makes me feel so weak. I'm like who can lift that much and i'm on the floor struggling to do 5 push ups and these guy beside me are blowing through 20+. Its really just makes me feel kinda pathetic. Maybe it's cause i'm the only girl that uses the weight room at my gym when i'm there so I don't get to see other girls struggling?

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Or if you compare your beginner strength tomseomenwhomjas been around for a while, you will feel out classed. I started weak, now I have people calling me an animal.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Been there, done that. Just think to yourself 'Well I'll be they couldn't run 5 miles as fast as I can' whenever you are feeling weak. It's what I used to do. But keep at the pushups etc. because you will get strong before you know it!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    With practice comes strength. Most people are not just amazing at something when they're born. You gotta work at it.

Keep adding pushups. Progressively load your lifts. You will see progress.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want to see improvements in strength you can't overdo the cardio and result in an extremely low net caloric intake. Also, if you are doing a ketogenic diet, make sure to re-feed your glycogen stores with energy by having one day every 2-3 weeks where you replace your fat and protein macros with calories from carbs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    All that matters is YOU making steady progress and not injuring yourself. There will always be someone bigger, faster, stronger. Tomorrow you will be bigger, faster, stronger than you were today.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Hell i am weak. BUT i have been working on it. Will i ever be gi jane uh no probably not but i will be stronger than when i started
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, I feel like a total bada$$ when I leave the gym. Even if there are people lifting 2x as much as me there. Make progress and enjoy the results of your success, that's all I can say.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I beat my last weight at something every time I go. Why would I feel weak? I'm getting stronger. So are you, if you're showing up and working at it. Keep at it, and compare yourself with... yourself.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Since I moved to a 5-2 carb cycle I've feeling weak 2 out of 4 days. Though thats just due to lack of carbs.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a cardio girl I can run 5+ miles stop for 20 mins and be ready to go again and recently i've been hitting the weight room at the local gym because even if my arms look toned they're not! I lift like 20-30 pounds and i'm done!. So everytime i'm at the weight room trying to do chest presses and other things I have to move the thing from Lvl 17-20 to lvl 3 and it makes me feel so weak. I'm like who can lift that much and i'm on the floor struggling to do 5 push ups and these guy beside me are blowing through 20+. Its really just makes me feel kinda pathetic. Maybe it's cause i'm the only girl that uses the weight room at my gym when i'm there so I don't get to see other girls struggling?

Hit the weights first and then do cardio or do cardio the days that you don't lift.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    are you doing weights after cardio? if so, try doing weights first so you're not worn out! that might help.

I just use the machines at the gym, and I do not have a lot of arm strength at all, but I do what I can and I try not to compare myself to anyone else! I always have to lower the weights when I get to a machine!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You are just a new lifter. It's fine, you'll see huge improvements over time. Just keep at it.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I still feel weak after 6 months at the gym :P lol.. slow progress..
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Read this article http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/04/comparison/

TLDR; The only person you should compare yourself too is yourself yesterday. Progress not perfection.

A beginner female definitely shouldn't compare themselves to any male lifter - not even in the same ball park. Everybody starts somewhere. Be proud that you've begun and remember to keep track of your stats so you can look back in a month/6 months/1 year to see how far you've come
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lets just say that there is a reason I prefer to go to the gym at my apartment complex when no one else is there. lol But I am improving. I try to remember that my youngest brother is by most standards a monster, but he started out as a 110 lb. weakling just looking to not get his head handed to him when he joined the Marines. That mental image helps when I find myself lowing the weights from 100 lbs. to my measly 20 lbs.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    It's ok. The gym is a place for progressive improvement. It is not a contest. Every strong person you see at your gym was once weak.
  • Seekerman
    Seekerman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel good when I do upper body lifts but I feel like a weakling when I do legs. So I avoided this area to much. Product of not training and injuries. Time to change
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Just add 5lbs every time you go. And hit the weight room first so you have more energy :)
  • tallmansix
    Options
    1. Don't compare with others at the gym, always someone who can do ten times more, and always someone who can do ten times less. It doesn't motivate me to see that so I concentrate on my own goals.

2. Do some cardio to warm up before weights, I try to do 10-20 mins of it to get sweaty and warm and I seem to perform better at the weights.