Increased workouts & bloating

Options
Hello,
So about 3-4 weeks ago I really upped my exercise duration/intensity and started incorporating more running and long walks into my routine. I’m feeling frustrated because I’ve noticed an increase in bloating and almost like I’ve been gaining weight, but it feels like water retention and not true weight gain.

Does anyone else struggle with this? If I ride this wave will I lose the water weight and my body will adjust or what is going on? I’m pretty good with drinking more than 1/2 my body weight in oz of water too.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really refer to it as "bloating" but exercise breaks down muscle fibers and tissue...we retain water to aid in repair of said tissue. You essentially set a new baseline...with regular exercise your muscles are always going to be in some state of repair and thus retain water...that's a good thing and means your body is working the way it's supposed to...congratulations.

Also, proper hydration means you're going to have a higher weight due to water...because you're not dehydrating yourself. Beyond that, the human body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water with the average adult being around 60%, but that exact composition is always going to fluctuate...all on it's own...and completely naturally. Never mind varying degrees of inherent waste in your digestive track, etc

• PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really refer to it as "bloating" but exercise breaks down muscle fibers and tissue...we retain water to aid in repair of said tissue. You essentially set a new baseline...with regular exercise your muscles are always going to be in some state of repair and thus retain water...that's a good thing and means your body is working the way it's supposed to...congratulations.

Also, proper hydration means you're going to have a higher weight due to water...because you're not dehydrating yourself. Beyond that, the human body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water with the average adult being around 60%, but that exact composition is always going to fluctuate...all on it's own...and completely naturally. Never mind varying degrees of inherent waste in your digestive track, etc

Thank you, I appreciate all of this! I definitely knew of the muscle fiber tears and the inflammation that goes along with it plus glycogen stores holding onto water too. I guess I was hoping that my body would eventually get back to my set point instead of creating a new one lol.

Good to know that I’m in a normal process at least. What’s frustrating is that I feel bloated from all of this too, hopefully that will adjust?

Either that or I’ve just made cortisol levels worse in my body haha!

Thank you again for such a thorough and helpful response! :)
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I happen to get a belly bloat after running. It goes away and does not stick around (few hours for me) I think this is fairly common. Although googling this, seems to affect others differently for how long it sticks around.

Now for the water weight, usually when pushing myself or longer distance miles, I will see a temporary weight gain. Just muscle repair. Usuallly water weight will drop after a few days.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    I happen to get a belly bloat after running. It goes away and does not stick around (few hours for me) I think this is fairly common. Although googling this, seems to affect others differently for how long it sticks around.

Now for the water weight, usually when pushing myself or longer distance miles, I will see a temporary weight gain. Just muscle repair. Usuallly water weight will drop after a few days.

Thank you so much! I appreciate this response a ton! I’ve definitely been upping my exercise routine and likely need to add in some extra rest days for repair too. I haven’t weighed myself since because it just made me too mad haha!

Thank you again!
  • sbharris1981
    sbharris1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes same here! I have been doing the stair master and weight training for about 4 weeks now. It’s like I am always super bloated now!! I almost want to throw in the towel because the scale isn’t moving much if at all because I am always so darn bloated!!!
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    Yes same here! I have been doing the stair master and weight training for about 4 weeks now. It’s like I am always super bloated now!! I almost want to throw in the towel because the scale isn’t moving much if at all because I am always so darn bloated!!!

I completely feel your pain!! I’m tired of the bloated feeling!
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have something similar. I see bloating and fat in the lower abdomen. I've been doing ab exercises for a month now and have been on the treadmill for another 2 months, but I don't see any results. Please tell me how to remove this fat in the lower abdomen and reduce the waist?
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    AnnF99 wrote: »
    I have something similar. I see bloating and fat in the lower abdomen. I've been doing ab exercises for a month now and have been on the treadmill for another 2 months, but I don't see any results. Please tell me how to remove this fat in the lower abdomen and reduce the waist?

I know that spot reducing isn’t really a thing, unfortunately. However, what is the rest of the diet like? And how are stress levels? Could be increased cortisol levels causing lower belly accumulation and leading you to hang on to the weight. Or hormonal imbalances.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AnnF99 wrote: »

You just have to continue to lose weight. You can't spot reduce fat. Where we store fat is genetic and the midsection is primary fat stores for the vast majority of men and many women as well. Primary fat stores are a first on, last off kind of thing.