LOOKING FOR A FRIEND TO HELP ME STAY MOTIVATED

Options
2»

Replies

• pappy1702
    pappy1702 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too, the more the merrier, and encouragement! :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I caution you against the danger of staying "motivated."

You can't just be "motivated" for weeks, months, years at a time.

You need the discipline to do what you need to do even when you don't have the motivation. That's the key here.
  • cinrueshershae
    Options
    Jonnythan,

You caution against the danger of staying "motivated". I agree it is difficult to stay motivated for weeks, months and years at a time, but I think we must at least stay "focused".

A little motivation in different forms along the way helps us to stay focused, thus we are able to discipline ourselves (with help when needed) to do what we need to do to reach our goals.

After we get through the first couple hard times, we can have those little talks to ourselves, about how we are the ones who control our actions, and we must not let situations stop us from acting as we should to reach our goals. Only I can control what I do, no one else, but that does not mean that I cannot call on someone to keep me motivated.

There is safety in numbers, strength in numbers and we must recognize when we need that extra boost. That is one reason I came back here after a short break away. If you really believe that we do not need motivation, may I ask, why are you here???

Cinrueshershae
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you look at, and talk to, the people who have been successful long-term, few of them will talk about how they stay motivated all the time. They will, however, talk about gritting their teeth and just getting it done even when they really don't want to.

People need to look at and understand the habits and mentality of the people who have accomplished what they want to accomplish.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you look at, and talk to, the people who have been successful long-term, few of them will talk about how they stay motivated all the time. They will, however, talk about gritting their teeth and just getting it done even when they really don't want to.

People need to look at and understand the habits and mentality of the people who have accomplished what they want to accomplish.

This, a thousand times this.

Motivation didn't lose me 60 pounds, discipline did.