Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Improvement to the piechart?

Options
The one that tells you each day how much carb, fat or protein you've eaten. I'd find it really useful if somewhere on that page was guidance about the percentage of calories that you should eat in each category (I'm just waiting for 97 people to tell me it's already there and I've overlooked it.). Maybe info could come up if you hover the mouse over that section of pie chart?
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Where are you looking: app or desktop?

In the app you can tap on the pie chart icon at the top of the diary and see your actual breakdown versus your goal:

q5t1iye8w6ty.jpg
  • LaetitiaLouise
    LaetitiaLouise Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ah, I don't get that on the desktop site.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 726 MFP Staff
    Options
    From the website, you can view the Pie Chart in your Diary by clicking on the "Food" tab. This will bring you to the Diary page. Please note that food items will need to be added in order for the Pie Chart to appear.
  • LaetitiaLouise
    LaetitiaLouise Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can see the pie chart, what I can't see is any guidance about what the proportions should be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I can see the pie chart, what I can't see is any guidance about what the proportions should be.

The proportions are based on whatever you set them to or MFP default for macros. There isn't a universally optimal macro ratio. For example a vegan will typically have a macro ratio that is inordinately high in carbohydrates...an individual following a keto plan will have a macro ratio that is inordinately high in fat and exceedingly low in carbohydrates. A bodybuilder is likely to have a macro ratio favoring high levels of protein often with moderately high levels of carbohydrates and often low fat. An endurance athlete is likely to favor a high carbohydrate macro ratio, etc.

The pie chart is also just a snapshot in time for that moment. Your actual goals for each macro are on your main diary page in grams...the pie chart just shows you what % of your total diet at that particular point in time is at the macro-nutrient level. So if I had a chicken breast for breakfast and had eaten nothing else, for example, and I looked at the pie chart, it would essentially tell me that the composition of my diet at that point in time is basically 100% protein. It doesn't mean I've hit 100% of my goal of targeted protein.