Weight loss and PCOS

Options
I am having a blood test tomorrow for PCOS as I've had a lot of the symptoms for a while now, and I was wondering if any of you had experience/advice about losing weight with PCOS?

It has been very difficult for me to lose weight no matter how strict I am, and I'm always making sure that I'm never in starvation mode. Whilst it's not certain that I have it yet, I'm sure this thread will be helpful to anyone who does!

Any advice?

Thank you so much!

-Jayde

Replies

• becktoriatralala
    becktoriatralala Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My OB/GYN says to stay away from carbs. Not the fruit and vegetable kind, but the bread and sugar kind of carbs. But I struggle with this as well. Everyone is different. Ask your doctor who requested the test. Even if you don't have this, I am sure they will give you ideas that will help. Good luck!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Your OB/GYN means well, but he is a poor authority on nutrition advice. His knowledge on nutrition is probably what he/she learned in med school and is at worst outdated and at best no better than the myriad of diet advice you can find on the web. I'm particularly suspicious when he says to eat carbs from fruit but not from bread. You should seek out a nutritionist.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Limit all fast carbs, aim for more slow carbs (berries, etc), drink lots of water, exercise, maintain healthy habits and DON'T go back to "old habits". I was diagnosed with PCOS 4 years ago, was able to lose weight, conceive, and now I have been able to lose my baby weight and working on more.

It is not impossible to lose the weight with PCOS, your hormones can make it a little more difficult though.

Stay dedicated, when you don't see the numbers changing, sometimes for weeks at a time, keep at it.

Feel free to add me.