gym machines vs free weights

Options
2»

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Update:
    I went back to gym today with renewed confidence after reading these posts. I was in middle of talking to manager about wanting programme set but wanted heavy lifting and free weights when one of instructors over heard and said ' a woman wanting heavy lifting- music to my ears'. So I've booked an appointment with him. Very chuffed. Thanks everyone for giving me the confidence to do this!
    Glad things worked out, not everyone has our best interest in mind. For some people its just a job and honestly thats why I stopped being a trainer at that gym, (ironically closed now)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I told the manager that it'd let myself be bullied into doing something I didnt want to and she said they were there to help so I hope it goes well on Friday when I' ve got my session.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Glad it's working out.

My only suggestion is to not go in with a list of exercises you want to learn. That's like going to a doctor asking for a certain medication - it may or may not be the best option. One of the benefits of a good trainer is the ability to get a customized routine that can be superior to mass-marketed, cookie-cutting routines. So go with the flow. Certainly ask questions if you don't understand why the trainer does things a certain way.

Oh, and don't expect heavy lifting the first week. Expect to learn proper form. You may not be sore afterwards, and that's totally normal.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Glad it's working out.

My only suggestion is to not go in with a list of exercises you want to learn. That's like going to a doctor asking for a specific medication - it may or may not be the best option. One of the benefits of a good trainer is the ability to get a customized routine that can be superior to mass-marketed, cookie-cutting routines. So go with the flow. Certainly ask questions if you don't understand why the trainer does things a certain way.

Oh, and don't expect heavy lifting the first week. Expect to learn proper form. You may not be sore afterwards, and that's totally normal.

Thanks. Good advice- it's quite a small gym so I don't want to come across as a 'know it all'. I'm happy to take advice now. What I'm looking for is a programme to follow, advice on good form and what weights to start on. The gym offers unlimited, free advice so I'll book another session soon to get my form checked.