blood sugar normal without meds!

Options
zebasschick
zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
in 2006, i was the heaviest i've ever been 242 at 5'4". that's when i discovered i had developed type 2 diabetes - my A1c was just under 12 :(

i changed things up. i lost 60 pounds substituting lower calorie/low or sugar-free versions of many foods i ate, and i took short walks 3x a day. then i found MFP, and in 2014, i was down to 140, strong with muscled legs and normal blood sugar. then several injuries kept me from exercising, i got depressed and ended up back at 165 to 170.

for the past year and a half or so, i've kept my diabetes to a pre-diabetic levels with exercise and diet, no meds. i lost some weight, i gained back some muscle. i eat no added sugars, and the only sugar i eat is milk sugar. i keep my carbs below 20 grams per meal - often 10 or less - and i've been slowly working past my injuries for 3 years, and for the past month or so, i've been doing 40 minutes to an hour of fairly vigorous cardio 5 to 6 times per day including exercise bikes, doing step aerobics, using a stepper and climbing up and down stairs.

and today my blood sugar as 93! i retested, and it was 97 - there's always a slight variation, but it's under 99. woohoo! and although i haven't lost much weight in the past 6 weeks, i'm back into my thinner pants, my waist has dropped 2 inches, and my legs are stronger than they've been in years. so double woohoo!

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring and motivating. I’m diabetic and just now using mfp to control carbs. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey-I feel I can do this!
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!! What wonderful news!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Nice work - so rewarding!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    MovinNow wrote: »
    This is so inspiring and motivating. I’m diabetic and just now using mfp to control carbs. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey-I feel I can do this!

are you type 2? if so, you can!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!