Do you exercise.when you are sick?

Options
I felt a cold coming on yesterday and didn't exercise at all. I felt guilty about that this morning and so I took a 20 minute walk with the dog . We went just over a mile and now I feel worse than when I woke up. I was likely to feel worse today any way, but it has made me curious about what others do.

Related question: do you eat more or less when you are sick? Subjectively I have always felt like I eat more unless I have a sore throat and don't want to swallow. I am very interested to see what happens this week in my food diary and weigjtnloss journey.

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    depends what kind of 'sick' I'm feeling............if I feel like I'm going to throw-up - NO.
    If it's a migraine - nothing with up/down motions (makes the migraine worse) - so stationary bike.
    Sniffles, aches and pains - yep - I work out.
  • Suleya
    Options
    I am having a cold as well at the moment. Still went lifting because I felt guilty, I wasnt doing too good...

I try to eat around the same amounts of calories, but focus more on vitamins than proteins. For example veggie soup and fruits because the help me feel more healthy :) It is important to note that you, even though you dont exercise, need some extra calories for your body to help recover from the sickness. So dont just eat your bare minimum of calories

And get well soon!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My god i never exercise when i am sick, first of all i am thinking about the people at the gym. I am not going to get them sick just because i feel the need to work out. 2nd, when your sick your body needs rest, not stress of exercising. Yeah people will say "sweat out a cold, flu" Your body needs its strength to fight the virus, or whatever you have. Rest, get better and then get back to workouts.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. I figure it's my body's way of telling me to slow down and rest. Maybe some stretches just to get the blood flowing, but that's it.

But since starting a regular exercise program I haven't really been that ill. I think early on I had a slight cold, but that was it.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It depens on how sick I am. If I'm in bed dieing then from pain then no. Nauseated? No. Cold, yes. WAS super sick but recovering? Yes. The moment I feel like I physically CAN work out then I DO work out.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hell no! I'm just getting back on it from being sick. Felt a bit iffy on Tuesday. Decided to man up and go to the gym. Wiped myself out so bad I can't remember Weds-Sat afternoon. Now very behind on work and so stressed I've hit the emergency wine. Resting up is definitely the way to go!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    In pain with a migraine, stuffed up so breathing is difficult, feverish, woozy, or any sort of stomach distress? I'm not working out, beyond whatever minimal walking I might do.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I don't worry about exercise or calories or anything like that. Just focus on getting well again. If you feel well enough to go for a walk tomorrow, that's great. If not, it's seriously no big deal. Same thing with eating - if you go over your calorie goal while sick, don't sweat it! Your body may be needed extra fuel to recover. Just listen to your body and don't worry about it.

(And to answer your original question, I don't exercise when I'm sick except maybe some light walking for fresh air, and I DO usually end up eating more than normal).
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    My god i never exercise when i am sick, first of all i am thinking about the people at the gym. I am not going to get them sick just because i feel the need to work out.

THIS.

Please, if you work out, stick to running outside or something at home. I wouldn't want to pass on my illness to other people! Nor do I want other people's germs :)

Try blogilates on youtube or yoga, so you don't overwork your body, and eat plenty of good vegetables and fruits.

Also, when I am ill I tend to stay at home, windows wide open, and don't stress myself, but I might go for a walk. Also, having an irish mother means I sometimes have a hot whisky.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I do, up until a certain point. I know my limits. I workout at home so not worried about spreading sickness.

Funny that you can be courteous but always probably get sick from gym eqiuip anyway! (Regarding public gyms)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    It depends. If I feel really, really awful, stuffed up, sneezing etc. then no. I won't work out. But if I'm just feeling a tad bit under the weather then I might go to the gym but just do a lighter workout.

I do agree though, with anyone who says you shouldn't go to the gym when you're really sick. I for one don't want to be working out next to someone who is sneezing, sniffling, wiping their nose on their hands and then handling the equipment. Germ Central!
  • ranthambore
    Options
    My understanding is that exercise can help to boost your immune system and prevent a cold. Therefore if you've been regularly exercising it is probably ok to exercise with a cold but wise to pay attention to what your body is telling you (congestion, wheezing, dizzy etc. are all telling you to rest, fever is demanding that you rest). I wouldn't exercise if I was taking cold medication which could mask what my body is telling me. That said, if you stress your body your immune system will likely suffer and impede your recovery so I would scale back and maybe just have a walk. It is far better to avoid exercise for a couple of days than make yourself feel worse and be unable to exercise for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't feel guilty, I'd spend the time resting on the sofa, drinking honey and lemon in hot water and reading a fab fitness magazine to give me new ideas for workouts and renewed motivation!
  • PocketPoodle
    PocketPoodle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not anymore... A couple of months ago I went running despite a sinus infection, and the next stay I started coughing. It became worse and worse to the point where I couldn't take a breath without coughing, and I went to the doctor who told me that on top of my - possibly chronic - sinusitis, I had also gotten acute bronchitis and needed antibiotics.

I had read not to exercise when ill, I just chose to ignore it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As a personal rule for safety reasons I don't exercise unless I am at 100% capacity.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No way! I believe that these are the times you need to focus on getting healthy :smile:
  • Ladina1990
    Ladina1990 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its funny that you would post this because I was just asking myself the same thing. I have had a cold since Friday and I did the 30DS yesterday and felt great afterward but im dealing with a cold and not the flu, I mean If you are feeling dizzy then seriously don't work out but if its just the sniffles then do a little something to stay on track. Everyone's body is different so really you just need to listen to yours and then make your decision
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise if I'm nauseous, contagious or have a migraine. I do if I'm none of those :D
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am sick now and also dealing with the fear of not exercising . I'm terrified that I am just using this as an excuse not to do it?

I have a terrible cold . I skipped Exercising on Saturday , got called into work at 3am on Sunday morning so completed that at 415 and exercised because I didn't want to go to bed for 45 minutes being that I still had to go to work for 12 my hour shift .... I think I was at 80 % capasity lol.. I still exercised yesterday evening as I was feeling ok. ( I wiped down the machine and sprayed it with lysol )
    Now this morning I did not exercise ( HARD TO SLEEP ALL STUFFED UP) ... I will this afternoon because all I can think about is that I'm going to gain weight lol

I think I am feeling better and will work out in the morning as long as I can sleep tonight ...

And teh second question
    Yes I ate more . I thought it was comfort food that I wanted though. Luckily our cook made chicken soup which made me feel better lol

Amy
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I had a headcold the other week and still exercised. Cardio and weights. I figured if i was going to feel bad i might as well have a good reason too...!

I was using sanatiser like crazy ppl probably thought I had OCD or something.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I never work out at a gym; I am doing couch to 5K training three days/week right now, but because of a bad knee I'll probably never actually run a 5K. I have to run on flat ground or not at all. For weight/resistance training, I use the bands I have from PT and hand weights that I bought for myself at the recommendation of my Physical Therapist and I do the exercises she & my doctor agreed on for my back and knee. I do think that I'll keep walking the dog (or go with hubby when he walks her), but won't push the running. I have asthma so it's better for me in the long run to rest for a few days and keep this crud in my nose and out of my lungs.

So far, I haven't eaten anymore than normal today, but I have had a two hour nap and more water than I usually drink in a whole day.. I am still interested to see how the eating works out through my illness. And to the two folks who suggested veggie or chicken soup - I have a chicken tortilla soup mix in the kitchen. I think that's what I'll make for dinner. My family can add sandwiches if they want.