started yesterday. want to see results SOON. any ideas?

Options
hey all. i just started this diet plan yesterday (it was a great day, btw).
and i know this is going to be a long journey. i live a sedentary lifestyle, i'm a heavy drinker, etc. i know i'm going to have to deeply change my lifestyle to see real results, and to maintain them.
buttttt i'm also 22 years old and i'm pretty impulsive and i KNOW if i don't see some kind of quick result, i'm that much more likely to just give up.
so, anybody have any tips that will help me see a real difference (and thus motivate me to try harder) when i get on the scale at the end of this week & the next week??

thanks guys :)

Replies

• jemethyst
    jemethyst Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The first week or so you should notice a difference with changing something small like beverages. Try to cut down on sodas , etc and drink a bunch of water. Many of us don't drink the recommended daily water amount, when we start to it makes a big difference. As far as the drinking, maybe find lower calorie options if cutting down isn't an option you are wanting to do at this point. And log your drinks! Trust me....they add up calorie wise. Good luck!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Learn some patience. Srs.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Oy
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Getting to a healthy weight is a process involving a change of lifestyle. If you continue the way you were, you will not change. So if you go back to the way you were after any success, you will gain the weight back.

I suggest measuring and writing down everything you eat. There are apps to help with that--a free one for MFP in fact. Also, get an inexpensive kitchen scale to measure weights of portions until you get a handle on just how big 4 ounces of halibut is, etc.

Track your food every day. Add or increase some exercise. Weigh weekly. You will see results.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well, to your credit, you're honest and upfront.

BUT I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is to change your expectations. It did not take you 24 hours or 1 week to get the way you are and it will NOT be erased or undone in 24-48 hours or a week or a month or possibly several months.

I don't think you're ready. (Unfortunately, I too am honest.)

Good luck.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Learn some patience. Srs.

mhmmmm
  • jemethyst
    jemethyst Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Getting to a healthy weight is a process involving a change of lifestyle. If you continue the way you were, you will not change. So if you go back to the way you were after any success, you will gain the weight back.

I suggest measuring and writing down everything you eat. There are apps to help with that--a free one for MFP in fact. Also, get an inexpensive kitchen scale to measure weights of portions until you get a handle on just how big 4 ounces of halibut is, etc.

Track your food every day. Add or increase some exercise. Weigh weekly. You will see results.

AMEN
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    don't forget to take your measurements!!!! sometimes you may not notice a drop in the scales but you will see a difference in your measurements!
  • Spartans55
    Options
    I know it sucks but you need to cut back on the booze.
  • ready4it4
    ready4it4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, to your credit, you're honest and upfront.

BUT I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is to change your expectations. It did not take you 24 hours or 1 week to get the way you are and it will NOT be erased or undone in 24-48 hours or a week or a month or possibly several months.

I don't think you're ready. (Unfortunately, I too am honest.)

Good luck.

my thoughts exactly
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking and you will see results, that frees up your liver to metabolize your food,
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There is no quick way to get results unless you get liposuction.
    Learn to be patient, and accept that it's going to be a long roller coaster of a journey. If you're not ready to accept that you're not going to see any results, then you're not ready for this journey. There's no one who can want it for you, you need to want it for yourself. And once you're truly ready to completely change your lifestyle, then you're ready to lose weight.

good luck.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    66dba3cb114bb7b873d14f68911f35a1_1024.jpg?t=52253162e22ad
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the booze period......I have lost weight before not cutting it out but I always ended up gaining it back ( I ended up consuming most of my calories in drinking and then giving up because I would get drunk and binge eventually). Try only drinking one night a week or less at least for the first 3 months.

Join some sort of group fitness that helped me feel apart of something (MFP was the biggest help and then I did a group Zumba class once a week) I also worked out on my own.....I also counted every single calorie. Even coffee, spicy mustard, pickles, a slice of tomato. EVERYTHING!!!!! It worked!!!!

I am over a year in maintenance and haven't been this thin since I was 15 and I am in my 30's. I drank myself silly in my 20's and totally regret it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Is that a bug on your tongue?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Be consistent..log every single thing you eat or drink..every single day.
  • tanikatrusty
    Options
    well...I also just started exactly a week ago from today and I've lost 6lbs already :) the very first thing i did was I completely stopped drinking everything EXCEPT WATER. No cokes, no tea, coffee, energy drinks, ect. I also count my calories and excercise everyday. Granted, it's not a big loss but it's keeping me motivated :) hope this helps :)
  • dababydollmami
    dababydollmami Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I am not going to say what you want to hear, cause it's just not realistic to see that type of change in your body over a week. For many people the first few weeks is always the hardest because those are the weeks you have to learn to restrict and limit items. Also the frustration with keeping track of what you eat and drink and if you exercise how many calories you burn can be frustrating until you get the hang of it. It is very rare that someone will see a drastic change in their body within the first week, especially if they still fall into some bad habits based on impulse. Losing weight is going to be a long term commitment that requires you to make lifestyle changes and break bad habits.

You have to keep yourself motivated to continue with your goals, even if you do not see changes right away. You want to lose weight for a reason so focus on that and just remember you didn't gain everything in one week and you won't lose it either.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    well...I also just started exactly a week ago from today and I've lost 6lbs already :) . Granted, it's not a big loss but it's keeping me motivated :) hope this helps :)

some people would be pleased to get that a month!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    LOG EVERYTHING. I thought I would be tempted to eat junk food, drink soda, drink booze... until I started logging it BEFORE I ate it, to see how much it was... when all the numbers went up, I freaked out, deleted it and didn't eat/drink it.

For fast results, EXERCISE. Lots of cardio. I lost my first 10 pounds without any exercise, lost 0.5% body fat. The next ten pounds were with exercise and dropped 4-5% in body fat.

And lastly, if you're gonna be exercising (WHICH YOU SHOULD BE) measure yourself, sometimes you'll be losing inches and not losing pounds.