Eggs and cholesterol - good or bad?

Options
I know eggs have cholesterol but I thought it was the good kind, but when I enter them in my food diary it blows my cholesterol for the day with just two eggs. What do people think is safe in a week?
Tagged:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Dietary Cholesterol was downgraded to " not a nutrient of concern" in 2015 and probably forgot to tell MFP and the rumors that eggs are one of the most nutrient rich and dense food on the planet you'll need to research, just to be safe. There's always refined cereal grains that we're been told are great and they even label them with all sorts of health benefit, one being they lower cholesterol, the stuff they tell us is ok to eat now, it so confusing.......for them. I bet eggs feel they've been neglected by the Dept. of Agriculture, lol. :) Cheers
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol issues will be a genetic issue most of the time. Diet can control it to some point however not always. Eggs usually get a bad rap usually for no reason.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    If you have certain genetic factors (familial hypercholesterolemia), dietary cholesterol may matter. If there are thin, active people in your lineage who have high blood cholesterol, genetics may be a factor for you.

For most of us, dietary cholesterol is not what triggers high serum LDL/VLDL cholesterol. Eggs are nutrient-packed. Eat them, but not so many that it limits getting good overall nutrition. (Variety is good.) That should be fine.
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat healthy fats enough that eggs will actually raise the healthy cholesterol levels and lower the bad. One egg is about 186 mg of cholesterol.
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946211/