correct amount of macros/ calories

Options
edwardsnathan403
edwardsnathan403 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2023 in Getting Started
hi I'm struggling on getting the right foods to equal my calories and macros. ill have to much protein so ill change it for something but then ill not have enough protein and to much carbs can anyone help?
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be exactly exact spot on every day, let alone every meal. Pretty close, on average, is fine.

If you're a few grams/percents over on protein or fats one day, a little under the next, averaging out around the targeted goal over a few days to a week or so, that'll be fine. (The MFP phone/tablet app will show you a week view of calories/nutrients to help you see this.)

Humans are adaptive omnivores. Our bodies can juggle some nutrients over hours to a day or so (sometimes more) to keep us healthy. Be close on average, count on your healthy body to do the rest. It'll be fine.

By the way, proteins and fats are "essential nutrients" in the technical sense that our bodies can't manufacture some of their subcomponents out of any other nutrient, so we need to eat some for best health. Carbs aren't "essential" in that sense, so they can be more flexible.

Some people say that eating carbs spikes their appetite. Those people may want to limit carbs. (Some people with health conditions like diabetes or insulin resistance certainly need to manage their carb intake.)

Some people find that low-carb eating tanks their energy level. Those people probably want to get some minimum amount of carbs that keeps them feeling perky.

If you fall in one of those groups, experimenting with carb intake will make that more obvious. Lots of very nutritious foods (especially veggies, fruits, grains) contain carbs.

If you get enough protein and fats (plus micronutrients/fiber), on average, you can spend the remaining calories any way you like: More protein, more fats, or carbs. Personally, I target a protein gram minimum, a fats gram minimum, and then use carbs to balance calories (or occasionally a little alcohol, which isn't any of those but has calories).

I hope that helps!