Going over calories if I workout in the morning. Help!

Options
I usually workout in late afternoon or before bed. But if I workout in the morning I am so hungry throughout the day and end up having no calories by dinner or after dinner.

Advice?
Tagged:

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Don't work out in the morning
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Try eating an hour or so before your morning workout. You’re probably famished post workout because your glycogen is totally depleted. Get in some protein and carbs. I use oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and have good luck with it.

Train in the afternoon as an alternative.
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have a protein rich snack after your morning workout and drink lots of water
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the above. However, what works for me if I have an extra long workout is the bring along a high fiber or protein snack. Today I brought a banana with me. That gave me enough energy and was filling enough that I did not become energy depleted or become famished during my exercise. I like things that are easy to carry and easy to eat, like the banana or small package of nuts.
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    I agree with the person who suggested eating before your workout. I started doing this about a year ago and it has made a HUGE difference to the quality of my workouts. I have so much more energy and I enjoy them a lot more! Protein also makes a huge difference in my satiety levels. My best energy/food days are the ones that I plan in advance. Good quality, balanced meals and snacks spaced evenly throughout the day keep my hunger levels and energy levels in check.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning (roll out of bed, get dressed, hit gym within minutes) so never eat before. I do bring along a protein shake to slam after the workout before I jump in the shower. Not because of some magical "30 minutes window" after lifting, but simply because I'm hungry, the shake adds to my daily protein total plus helps sate me over til lunch, and it's easier than preparing an entire meal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Notice how different people recommend different eating (and other) strategies to solve the problem?

That's because this is one of those realms where individuals differ.

Try a new strategy maybe 2-3 times in a row, then assess your personal results. Very likely you'll find a good solution reasonably soon, and learn some useful stuff about your body along the way.

Best wishes!
  • christinefrano
    christinefrano Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I ate a small meal a couple hours before but still super hungry after. I'll play around with different foods/drinks. I drink lotss of water so that's no issue lol.

How long does it take to adapt to morning workouts? I feel so weak in the am. I only do it on weekends lately to enjoy the rest of the day.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    When your body is best primed to workout is highly personal. I personally am able to lift as much as 10% heavier if I lift in the morning compared to late in the day. A coworker is the opposite, lifting heavier late than early.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    When I used to work out in the AM, I would bring breakfast in the form of a protein smoothie.