First 5k need preparation help

Options
Hi all, I'm running my first 5k on Sep 14. I have no idea how to train the week before or if I should eat different the day before or morning of the run. I have 4 more sessions of C25K to finish in the next 10 days and will be doing legs with my trainer tomorrow if that helps at all.

My goals are to run the whole time and finish. This is more to prove to myself that I can do it. Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be of more help...

I ate a lot the day before and ate a light protein packed breakfast the morning I did the ROC Race (www.rocrace.com) then after I went and ate a lot of food.

ETA: Good luck!!!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do anything different the week or day before. Actually try not to do anything too different that may throw you off. No need to carb load or anything for such a short race. Just eat regular and a light breakfast. I usually have peanut butter toast and maybe half banana.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm running my first 5k on Sep 14. I have no idea how to train the week before or if I should eat different the day before or morning of the run. I have 4 more sessions of C25K to finish in the next 10 days and will be doing legs with my trainer tomorrow if that helps at all.

My goals are to run the whole time and finish. This is more to prove to myself that I can do it. Thanks ahead of time!

Here is a really great thread on the subject

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

But to answer - you don have to worry about eating anything special the week before or the day of. For the day of especially, you want to stick with what you know won't upset your stomach. Eat what your normally eat before a training run.

Good luck! And have fun!

Oh don't start too hard. It's hard not toget caught up but try to go slow at first then Give yourself some energy to finish.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a couple of hours before I run just in case i throw up due to the food in my stomach! Then eat myself silly after!

I would personally train every day before the race then take the day before off just to rest. Thats just me though, everyone is different and im new to this too.

Good luck with your 5k!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would run every other day but not the two days before the race. A 5k distance each run would be fine, or maybe a little more (half mile?)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a rest day the day before, and don't do super stressful workouts the two days before that. You may want to work out a bit a couple days out but these should be easy, confidence-building workouts, just to keep you fresh.

Otherwise, the most important rule to remember is *nothing new on race day*. If you haven't tried eating a particular food or supplement, now is not the day to change. If you usually hydrate a lot before runs, that should be fine, but don't drink twice as much just because this is your big day.

Also important: make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before. If that means having a nightcap or something to help you get to sleep (and that's something you've done before with no ill effects), then that's okay too.