I used to be fit. Now I’m fat.

Hi, I’m Chuck. I have always yo-yoed with my weight over the past 10 years. I have had great success with MFP and WW. But 5 years ago, in the middle of another potential 2500 mile cycling summer, I was hit with excruciating muscle and joint pain. Later I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I haven’t found the perfect meds yet, so I’m still physically struggling with it. I guess that is why I stopped cycling and ex exercising. I also went through a divorce then, so my mind was not in a great place. I suffered from depression and anxiety. I have many excuses, but I let myself blow up to over 300 pounds for the first time in my life. I’m 53 now and
I’m scared for my life. I’m afraid I’ll never be healthy again. I have three kids around college age. I want to be here for them for a long time. I have to make a great lifestyle change and it happens now. I will appreciate your support and advice. Thank you!

Replies

• LEM413
    LEM413 Posts: 1 Member
    Hey Chuck! I was just looking through posts from people with RA out of curiosity. I'm 33, and I've had RA for half my life. I manage to stay active, but I also have had some issues recently that have kept me sedentary and eating less healthily. Suddenly I'm at the highest weight I've ever been, so I can relate!

That said - it's definitely possible to be active with RA. There are actually some great Facebook groups for athletes with RA that I find to be good sources of inspiration.

It's never too late to take control of your health. I'm back on MFP so I can be more mindful of what I'm eating and my general intake/output. You got this!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,637 Member
    Hi Chuck, believe in yourself you can do this but it will take time but you can do it.