hip pain & weights vs body weight

Options
csplatt
csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
I am a long time gym rat but had to cut way way back when I developed chronic right hip pain a few years ago. I am 41. I am not getting any super clear answers about source of pain; I have a small labral tear but doctor cannot reproduce my pain in office (negative FADIR) and I have spondylolisthesis with some facet joint arthritis. No real answers as to how to stop my regular pain.

I am working to stay active without triggering my hip as often. Has anyone found that body weight exercises / at home is easier on joints than machines at the gym? This is difficult because I am also avoiding running! At my age I know strength training is crucial.

Replies

• meb2490
    meb2490 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to release your Psoas muscle? I had hip pain for years until I finally realized it was my Psoas. I did a lot of foam rolling and stretching. Haven't had a problem since. Good luck.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,644 Member
    Options
    Go get an MRI or xray for a better Idea of where the pain may be coming from as if it is arthritic there's a good chance that only a replacement in the future will get rid of the pain. There can be several causes including back issues it's just guessing until it's properly diagnosed.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    Sometimes adjusting hand/foot position can make a HUGE impact. I have a buddy who cannot do any chest exercises where his palms face towards his feet without lots of shoulder pain, but if his palms face in towards each other he's fine. I get knee pain when I do squatting motions with my feet close together, but if I spread them further apart I'm fine. Maybe try adjusting your feet position (closer/further apart, toes pointed straight ahead/angled out, etc) to see if you can find a more comfortable position.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Go get an MRI or xray for a better Idea of where the pain may be coming from as if it is arthritic there's a good chance that only a replacement in the future will get rid of the pain. There can be several causes including back issues it's just guessing until it's properly diagnosed.

i have had mris and x-rays on both hip and lumbar spine. i did six months physical therapy. foam rolling and massage actually makes it worse!

diagnoses are in the original post!

fixing the labral tear is still pretty risky because of the chances it’s actually asymptomatic. my doctor says i may want to look into SI joint.

pain is in groin and around side where my gluteus medius gets really irritated.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have a labral tear and I was at a point I couldn't put on my shoes on as I couldn't bend properly anymore.
    With the help of a physiotherapist, I slowly build up the weight on the adductor machine and the abductor one. Simultaneously, I was prescribed soles for my shoes. I went from stilletos to skechers with prescribed soles, which I wasn't happy about to be honest.
    But, after six months or so I started to feel the difference and I am now pain free and my joint bends for 90%.

I feel when I stop doing both exercises, the pain creeps back slowly. It is really an incentive to keep doing them.

Hope this helps you a bit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I was confusing spondylolisthesis with Ankylosing Spondylitis. My friend with the latter found yoga helpful, and became a certified teacher. I realize it is a completely different condition, but since you also asked about body weight - I am far less apt to injure myself or aggravate my own (unrelated) conditions with yoga body weight than at the gym. And gentle yoga definitely helps me with chronic pain.

If you are new to yoga, I recommend starting with gentle/beginner/restorative yoga. For more advanced classes, teachers with at least a 200 hour certification - 500 hours preferable.