Fitness tracker for someone that moves there arms a lot

Hi all, I am looking for a fitness tracker that will record my steps, and be able to sync with myfitnesspal , the only problem is I work a lot in a coffee shop using multi-machines so both hands are always all over the place which means I think would affect how many steps/exercise I would do. What tracker would you recommend I get? I could use my phone via google fit but it's far too bulky.

Thanks in advance for the help
Adrian

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @adrianmvaughan1976 : Woah, everyone left you hanging!

In any case, I think a watch will still give you useful information about your activity level. Working in a restaurant of any kind is much more active than being a desk-worker, and all motion adds to your calorie burn. The calorie info might be imperfect, but I've found it better than nothing.

Any of the "big three" fitness watches will do: Apple, Garmin, or Fitbit. I started with a cheap one and worked up over time. Note that Apple has the most features and shortest battery life (and you must have an iPhone), Garmin has the most sports tracking features, and Fitbit "trackers" are the simplest to use.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,764 Member
    I find this list:
    https://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/best-wearables-for-discreet-fitness-tracking-320

The Fitbit Inspire 3 might be a good fit, since Fitbit syncs with MFP and the tracker can be worn clipped to your clothing.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,306 Member
    edited June 2023
    My personal experience with Apple Watch so YMMV-

I grew up in a signing household and still tend to wave my hands around a lot more than most people. Apple Watch doesn’t pick this up as steps.

But let me get out my crochet, with its steady rhythmic arm movements, and it’s game on with Apple Watch. I recorded 40,000 steps on an international flight one time crocheting a doily.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @springlering62 : That's awesome! Crocheting must burn a few calories, but probably not that many.

My Garmin watch would act wonky when I ran the mower or Snowblower. I tracked these activities a few times, but I don't believe the number of steps as my wrist was vibrating all over the place. My old Garmin would also count swim strokes as steps (even in swim mode), but my new one (Fenix 6S) fixed that.

Anyway, it pays to be skeptical about the extra calories the watch indicates. If you were actually crocheting, it's probably a bit high. But, I think they would do a good job for restaurant work.