i apologize

Options
i was reading the comments of my last thread i wrote. "is it possible to loose weight without a calorie deficit". i think i made a mistake. i meant to say is it possible to loose weight WITHOUT counting calories. i aplogize. im new to this whole weight loss thing so please forgive me😂

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    No worries!

People lost weight before calorie counting was practical - I'm old enough to have seen it done. My own father did it.

It's totally possible.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If a person eats less and/or exercises more they can lose weight. No calorie counting needed, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. My husband lost 20 lbs. just from giving up sodas. A few years later, he lost 50 lbs. by hiking the Appalachian trail. I've lost weight by quitting desserts and most carbs for a few months. I've also lost weight when I was depressed and lost my appetite. Anything that causes you to eat fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight will result in weight loss. You don't have to know the exact numbers for that to work.

The problem for most people is being consistent in eating less. Most people return to old eating habits sooner or later and regain the weight they lost. If you don't really understand the relationship between what you eat and what you weigh, it's easy to replace one fattening food with another or allow calories to creep back into your diet.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,199 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    is it possible to loose weight WITHOUT counting calories.

Count calories like an OCD Ph.d student preparing a dissertation, for 30 days straight. Every single crumb. Thirty days. Weigh yourself before and after.

Then don't count any calories at all for 30 days. Weigh yourself before and after.

I don't think you'll answer your own question, but you will gain much meaningful insight.

What have you got to lose? It's only 60 days.
  • nerdypeanutbutter
    nerdypeanutbutter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @spiriteagle99 amazing! thank you for the tip
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    is it possible to loose weight WITHOUT counting calories.

Count calories like an OCD Ph.d student preparing a dissertation, for 30 days straight. Every single crumb. Thirty days. Weigh yourself before and after.

Then don't count any calories at all for 30 days. Weigh yourself before and after.

I don't think you'll answer your own question, but you will gain much meaningful insight.

What have you got to lose? It's only 60 days.

that seems rather silly to me.

and the solution is probably somewhere in between - even discounting other methods and focussing solely on calorie counting - the options arent a binary Count every single crumb vs Count nothing.

Comparing only 2 extremes wont help anyone find their sustainable method.