Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Share (Text) food and meals to friends

Options
My wife just got the 30 day trial for MFT and it is frustrating for her trying to get started, finding all the right foods, etc. I have been using it since February and find it easy.

To help encourage people to share and make it easier to use, I would LOVE to see a feature where I could go to my Diary and SHARE either a single food or all food in my lunch/dinner/etc! This would be especially helpful when I make and enter my dinner, then want to send her the entire entry for dinner.

I also want to be able to share my meals. I see under My Meals, that I can share my Meals to my diary, but just posts it to my diary. I also want to take the meals I have made and send her a copy so she can use them too without having to enter them manually.

So much of the what we do on our phones and tablets these days supports SHARE so we can electronically exchange data… MFP is really behind on providing this functionality and it is really becoming clear since my wife joined and helping her find and enter stuff is so much harder than it needs to be.

I would be happy with texting to share, but would also enjoy seeing AirDrop as an option.
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Ray_4331
    Ray_4331 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    BTW, we should also be able to share/friend thru text/etc! When my wife and I pull up the app on our iPhones, I want to be able to go to my profile, hit Share and text her a link or something so we quickly become friends. The current Friend request ability is nowhere near as easy. It tried Friend / Requests / Add Friend / Contacts, but my wife was not in the list and I could not simply search the list!

The app should just make a request link, put it in my clipboard and let me go text it to my wife…
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 765 MFP Staff
    Options
    You can find the option to share a saved meal in Meals, Recipes & Foods. Select the Meal >> Tap the Share button next to the meal name >> Add directions/comments >> Tap the check mark when done.

Another option is to add your wife as a friend on MyFitnessPal, and then you can view/copy each other's Diary entries. Take a look at this article for more information!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    My husband simply imports my meals from my diary to his.

It’s very easy. My diary is open, and I’m his friend.

He looks me up on his friends list, opens my diary, finds the meal he wants on my diary, and clicks to “save as meal”, which then transports and saves it to his diary.

He gets fewer calories than I do, but I usually make the difference up on the meats so he just then edits the size of his meat portion.

Or, when I made roasted vegetables last night, he deleted the beets from his since he refuses to eat the.

You can also share recipes and meals to your friends and she can save them that way, but I wouldn’t unless there are no other friends on your friends list. It would get unwieldy and a bit annoying to share every meal every day with your friends.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    wd6te3t4qxeh.jpeg
    He finds the meal he wants to copy in my diary, like so and then clicks the three dots, which opens this:

s63r8zt6jl79.jpeg

Then he selects copy to date and it asks him which meal he wants to save it to.
  • Ray_4331
    Options
    I see the ability to copy, assuming someone has set their Diary to Open: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032274452-Can-I-copy-meals-from-my-friends-

I think a more modern / integrated / user friendly approach would be to let me simply SEND or TEXT her a whole meal or food entry. When I have found and entered a food, I want to just be able to SHARE it to her... Not tell her to go find it in my diary somewhere. The current process assumes people are ok with opening up their diary and it feels like 1990's tech.
  • Ray_4331
    Options
    BTW, My wife and I have tried the whole “Go get it from my daily log” thing, and it is not nice and simple. Especially if she should a specific food and I just want that entry, not all of the other stuff in her meal.

I also tried to share a recipe and a meal. UGH!!! First off, I could not share a recipe. Second, when I shared a Meal, it went to my Newsfeed…

So maybe I should clarify when I mean by SHARING. I want to SHARE to my wife or a specific friend. Her sister asked her for her smoothie recipe. Could she simply go to the Recipe, Hit Send and then select her sister??? Nope….

if you want to help people build connections, use and support each other, then Please, make robust sharing for friends and family… Sharing via direct messages/IM/Text/something, not your community Newsfeed that feels like Web 1.0 tech.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 765 MFP Staff
    Options
    Ray_4331 wrote: »
    BTW, My wife and I have tried the whole “Go get it from my daily log” thing, and it is not nice and simple. Especially if she should a specific food and I just want that entry, not all of the other stuff in her meal.

I also tried to share a recipe and a meal. UGH!!! First off, I could not share a recipe. Second, when I shared a Meal, it went to my Newsfeed…

So maybe I should clarify when I mean by SHARING. I want to SHARE to my wife or a specific friend. Her sister asked her for her smoothie recipe. Could she simply go to the Recipe, Hit Send and then select her sister??? Nope….

if you want to help people build connections, use and support each other, then Please, make robust sharing for friends and family… Sharing via direct messages/IM/Text/something, not your community Newsfeed that feels like Web 1.0 tech.

Thanks for sharing your insights on this. I will bring this back to the appropriate team to consider for a future update!