Two weeks on MFP - just saw a drastic drop in weight

Options
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get a bit of perspective from you guys on what I am looking at right now weight dropping wise. I joined this site exactly 15 days ago, and have been doing daily exercise for 16 days. I have a mildly active job, and had a cal allotment in the 1800's and generally I am around 20-100 short every day.

I started at 258 pounds. Lost two pounds in the first week, to leave me at 256 last Monday. I weighed myself today, at two week mark and was at 248 pounds. I was floored to say the least. I weighed myself about twenty times to be sure. Now, I would have just assumed the scale was possessed - however, out of curiosity and excitement I have been weighing myself unofficially daily this week and have been surprised to see it basically going down a pound or half a pound daily.

Since I lost 10 pounds in two weeks, MFP recalculated my cal allotment, and I am now looking at 1770 daily.

Details:
- I have been exercising, min of 30 minutes everyday for 16 days. (And work at my mildly active job 5 to 6 days out of 7.) - usally a fast walk.
- I have NEVER gone over my cal allotment.
- I record my weight once a week. At the same time before breakfast.
- I drink min of 8 glasses of water a day, usually more like 12-13 when I am at work.
- I often eat back most of my exercise cal.
- I can be over generous in my calorie counting if I am not sure exactly, so rather than going lower I will add 20 cal or what have you.

I know scales aren't exactly the most accurate things in the world. And I know you generally lose more in the beginning then later on. But I am inclined to believe I am 148ish considering I have been seeing a downward trend all week. Naturally I am over the moon about all this, however, it is a bit concerning and unbelievable - so I am hoping you guys might have some insight.

I should point out that when I started this journey into weight loss, (I spent a year doing my masters degree and basically packed on way more pounds than I am comfortable with.) I told myself I wasn't going to be sacrificing the things I love. I know with me, that would never be sustainable. So, my food diary contains clear evidence of some seriously unhealthy foods in the evening. A beer, some Cheetos or chocolate for example. But it is all within my cal allotment, so it doesn't exactly matter. - My point is, I haven't exactly been depriving myself here.

I opened my food diary, so if you want to take a look at my progress, any thoughts, advice, etc would be appreciated. (Just finished a big breakfast/brunch.) - Looking into past entries many are saying I went over, since MFP lowered my cal allotment, but I can assure you I have been under my cal allotment since I started.

Replies

• khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i have heard and from my own experience that it is possible to lose alot in the first week or so and that it normally is water weight, i'd recommend you to eat what mfp gives you and then weigh yourself after a week and see what the scale says, the weight loss will probably be alot less than your last two weeks as its actual fat you should be losing by then hope this helped x
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    khadijak17,

Good idea, I will keep that in mind for next week. I am sure that will be a good judge of what is happening. Thank you for your input. I guess I kinda got off the scale this morning a little shell-shocked. (Not that I am complaining mind you. Totally did a happy prance.)
  • ldugganbos
    Options
    basically water weight...my first 2 weeks were like 15 pounds...then 1 - 2 pounds a week after that...and now that i am down 50 I am lucky to lose 1 per week. Just be happy that the water weight is off and now you can start an accurate count...it is a lilttle perk to keep you on track! LOL
  • gebhart4
    Options
    idugganbos,

Interesting. Now that I think about it, what exactly IS water weight? Out of curiosity, are you set on a two pound loss per week or a one pound loss? Or does it matter when you get to the point where you are at?

Congrats on your loss! That's awesome!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    idugganbos,

Interesting. Now that I think about it, what exactly IS water weight? Out of curiosity, are you set on a two pound loss per week or a one pound loss? Or does it matter when you get to the point where you are at?

Congrats on your loss! That's awesome!

Your body stores carbohydrates at one part carb/ three parts water. When you start powering through your glycogen stores, the water is released into your body to be eliminated. Thus the quick initial weight loss.

Best to you!
  • gebhart4
    Options
    caseyfairbair,

Thank you for the explanation! Too bad you can't lose all the weight THIS fast, eh? Ha!
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I too lost 10 lbs. in my first 2 weeks then this morning (my 3rd weigh in since joining MFP) I was down the pound and a half that I have it set for. Take the 10 and enjoy it, don't try to over analyze it. Congrats!
  • gsoukup2
    gsoukup2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are and make adjustments if things change. Seems like you're off to a fantastic start. Remember these great weeks when you have a not so great week. I'm new at this also and found it works better for me if I only eat back half of my exercise. Yesterday I had to bike for a full hour to finally answer the question "what would you do for a Klondike Bar?" Glad to see someone else with chocolate in the diary.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The first couple weeks, you see much bigger amounts of weight loss. It slows down pretty quickly.
  • gebhart4
    Options
    Thank you for everyone's advice and comments. I weighed myself (unofficially) this morning and was still at 248. So it looks like the scale wasn't possessed after all!
  • JDeana14
    JDeana14 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had to bike for a full hour to finally answer the question "what would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

Oh my goodness I am dying of laughter over here! Brilliant! :laugh:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    And very important, do not only rely on the scale. Take your measurements, and pictures as well. Between the 3 different things, it will help you once the scale slows down to still see that progress is being made. Many people get very frustrated when they are only weighing, but your body is changing shape as well. Best of luck, and keep up the great work :drinker:
  • gebhart4
    Options
    I have been taking measurements. Neck, waist, thighs, upper arms, hips. But good point about the pictures. I have been dragging my feet a bit in regards to that.
  • cognita
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations!!
    Secondly, it does happen. The quickest rate of weight loss will always happen at the start of the diet, and at a greater rate for those who have a larger amount of weight to loose.

When you started with MFP, was it a shock to your system? By this I mean did you go from eating your previously 'normal' diet one day to eating at your defecit amount the next, or did you gradually reduce calories? This might be a factor!

Another huge congratulations, but also don't be disheartened if the weight loss slows down - it will do at some point and it will become harder to loose such an amount in such a small space of time, so relish in it now!

Keep it up and good luck :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    1) you have a good amount to lose...your body does drop faster the heavier you are...slower the leaner you are.

2) a lot of the early weight is water...that shouldn't discourage you, but once your body adjusts it will slow down to more normal levels of loss. It is likely that you lost about 3-5 Lbs of fat and another 7-10 Lbs in water...it is very typical and nothing to be overly concerned with at this point.
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont want my weight loss to slow down!!!! I cant even loose water weight fast. Two weeks and two pounds later. I have been hurt so I have nto been able to excercise. I am hoping to push it this next week and maybe squeese out a little bigger loss. My body never has anything bigger than a 1.5 pound loss a time. I would love a five pound loss at one time. :flowerforyou:
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Great work! Your on a roll now. Keep going. Ya! ????

Maybe start taking measurements. They are a better judge of progress in my eyes.

I LOVE the app Body TrackIt. It tracked my measurements (which are customizable), it tracks your weight and body fat. Give you a summary every time you track which is super awesome. You can even easily compare pics with the cool tools it has. It's super motivating and really helpful. It's my fav app. Lol.

Remember progress is progress no matter how small. So IF your weightless slows down, don't get discouraged. Your in a journey, take one step at a time. You can do it. ;).

Good luck. ????
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Just remember that water can go on as quickly as it comes off. Big, sudden changes in weight are water, so don't let an unexpected gain derail you. I would even suggest weighing daily to understand your body better, but fear the inevitable backlash I'd get. I really don't need any flaming dog poo in my inbox.
  • gebhart4
    Options
    Today was my next weekly weigh-in since I posted this topic, and I dropped only one pound this week. A bit dissapointed, but not discouraged. The body is a strange thing.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear so you can expect uneven progress. But it's progress! Congrats :)!!!