Gluten Free HELP

Options
Hello all. I just recently discovered that I get very sick, tired and irritable when I eat anything with gluten in it. I've completely cut gluten out of my diet and I thought maybe that would help me lose weight anyway but so far it hasn't. It was then that I discovered that a lot of food that is marketed as being "gluten free" is actually not the best for you. So now I need to learn about healthier ways to be gluten free. I was thinking about trying the paleo diet but I'll make a separate post on that. Has anyone else here suffered from gluten intolerance or celiac disease? Do you have any tips or personal stories? Thanks!

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a gluten free group and there are plenty of us who share your pain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free

To start with you might try just opting for things that are naturally gluten free like fruit, vegetables, meat, seeds or nuts (be careful to read the packages on these as many are packaged in a facility that processing gluten containing foods and you will get cross contamination.) Many dairy products are gluten free too.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Because I can live without pasta and bread, I just don't buy those gluten-free varieties. I eat meat, fruit, veggies, brown rice, quinoa. Oatmeal on occasion (you should only get that if it states GF on the package). No canned soups. If I want soup I make my own brothy soups. Dairy is fine I just choose not to eat much of it. It's actually not that difficult if you're eating at home. Eating out is a different story, but more and more restaurants are adding GF options to their menus.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    Read IT STARTS WITH FOOD or google The Whole 30. Good luck.
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to be cutting out diary next because I am lactose intolerant as well. Cutting out gluten is more important right now though.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand.... To lose weight...Eat less than you burn. .if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. Gluten free or not!
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand.... To lose weight...Eat less than you burn. .if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. Gluten free or not!
    Not sure you're understanding the OP's original question....