Sticking to your meal plan

Options
Hi everyone,

As I’ve lost more weight and with time (I guess my motivation has dwindled), I struggle to say no to free food and especially sweets offered to me and hence feel like I’ve reached a plateau. I would like to lose the last 8 lbs. I used to eat high protein when I would have my cheat meal but I feel like i keep telling myself I can’t do that anymore (“it’s too hard”). It would be fine if I had a small piece of a sweet but that isn’t usually how it goes…

I was wondering if anyone had any advice how they say no when desserts are at work and how you eat on your cheat meal day.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don’t think of it as cheating. I just log everything with my best estimate. If I have a lot of delicious food one day, it still gets logged. The choice is mine, the consequences are mine. If I don’t lose anything that week, I know why.

I also won’t eat anything that isn’t delicious, even if it’s free. I’d say no to leftover meeting sandwiches and donuts in the break room, but yes to someone’s homemade pie. Choices!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I don’t think of it as cheating. I just log everything with my best estimate. If I have a lot of delicious food one day, it still gets logged. The choice is mine, the consequences are mine. If I don’t lose anything that week, I know why.

I also won’t eat anything that isn’t delicious, even if it’s free. I’d say no to leftover meeting sandwiches and donuts in the break room, but yes to someone’s homemade pie. Choices!

I love this! I think having boundaries about what's worth eating and what's not is a genius way to keep it in control.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Basically the diet you've designed is not sustainable and the need for a cheat meal or day is basically the proof, imo. For some people sweets and desserts are enabler foods that muck with their hormones so much it make it very tough to resist and when a person that's on a diet where they feel deprived, it's bound to happen.

For me a mostly whole food diet and one that is lower in carbs and not necessarily really low will by default be higher in protein and fat, which all of these aspects (changes) positively effect those satiety hormones and why lower carb diets are recommended by pretty much all lifestyle physicians that deal with obesity and diabetes. That sweet taste in a diet that isn't satiating very much can be a very slippery slope into binge and overeating, no doubt about it. Personally I don't crave sweets at all anymore, but what's even more profound is that when I consume fruit I don't get the same urge to want more. Processed and ultra processed foods are ultra palatable and that is by design, so maybe look at a diet higher in whole food. Cheers
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yeah, free food....

At my workplace, all the food is free and unlimited...hot breakfast every day, catered lunch, catered dinner when we have to work late, snacks and drinks available throughout the day. All of it is freshly prepared by our in-house catering company, so it's good quality and a ton of variety. On top of this is the frequent email "Come down to HR for cupcakes!".

When people start working here, most gain weight at the beginning, because free food. I did as well. I had to re-train my brain to not eat something just because it's there (or free). I eat breakfast at home, so ignore the work breakfast. I focus on the salad bar at lunch and make a HUGE lunch salad. I don't go into the kitchen area where the snacks are. I ignore the cupcake emails.

It took a while, but I realized I didn't miss these things. The cupcakes were store-bought and not so great. The trail mix snacks were not worth the calories. Eventually, I didn't feel like I was depriving myself of anything, and I'd rather grab a cup of coffee than a handful of nuts anyways.

BTW, my workplace also has a free gym with a full-time trainer/classes, etc. Ha...at least they are trying to counter all the free food somehow.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Myabe this is just me, not you . . .

When there's something like that going on for me, I need to acknowledge that I'm making a choice, and own the results that flow from that choice.

Free food, or treats, or (like today) pizza and beer, or whatever: They don't have some mysterious force that rules me, against which I'm powerless. I'm making a choice. If I say I want some long term goal, yet make choices that I know won't get me to that goal, I have to admit that I didn't really mean it when I said I wanted that goal.

That said, when it comes to food and eating, I don't necessarily need to make the choice that leads to my long-term goal every. single. time. I just need to make that choice the overwhelming majority of times, and balance out the short term pleasure vs. the long term goal on average over time. (Hence today's pizza and beer. Oh, and gelato. Not the first time, in year 7+ of maintaining a healthy weight.)

For me, it isn't necessarily always easy, because my internal toddler wants immediate gratification every. single. time. She doesn't have a care for future Ann's well-being.

But bottom line, it's just that simple: My choices, my consequences.

Empowerment kinda stinks sometimes.
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you're already a healthy weight, those last 8-10 lbs are going to be the hardest to lose. I agree with Ann, above. It's a choice. You can choose to say "yes" to free food or you can choose to say "no." It sounds like there is a lot of it so if you say "no" once, it'll probably come around again. Do you want it because it's good, yummy and something you're hungry for? Or are you just eating it because it's free? If you're actually hungry for it, take a bit to enjoy and be done.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I’m just curious. Your cheat day. Describe your normal week and what the cheat day is usually like. How often?

I don’t “cheat” because I’d only be cheating myself, and that’s just plain silly.

What I do do, though, is eat well below calories six days a week and not beat myself up if I decide to demolish a (big!!!) chocolate bar the seventh, an extra donut Sunday, or have an extra piece of Mellow Mushroom pizza over and above what I’ve already prelogged.

Prelog? Yep. I plan and log several days in advance so I know what days I’ll be low or high on, can change things up on the fly if a friend calls and says “sushi for lunch?” or don’t feel like the original planned meal and need to squeeze in a replacement.

I don’t sweat the daily, but I do keep tabs on my seven day average for both calories and macros. If I wreck it, then I know I’m headed in the wrong direction. If it’s ultimately within goal, I’ve aced it yet another week.

This helps avoid guilt for other things: bunco parties (aka Eat All Tha Thingz), dinner with friends, the rare CookOut shake, a chicken biscuit for breakfast.

I no longer frame any of it as cheating. It just “is”, and I’m in charge.

It’s amazing how fast saving a few hundred calories a day adds up to a feast, as opposed to the bitter grind of trying to under eat and out exercise a bad overage.