Cycling is a "good deal" (maybe too good...)

Options
I know it's come up before, but I am just amazed that Garmin will give me ~800 extra calories for cycling to work and back (9.5m each way with a moderate climb).

Lot's of people may jump in and claim "that's too much," but I've found the cycling estimates lead to weight maintenance. The only catch is that I can easily overcompensate, but that's why I'm on MFP in the first place! :p

In any case, on the days I do it, I'm certainly a bit tired and hungry at the end, but a bit of food and a good sleep take care of that!
Tagged:

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    When I were a lad, I cycled to the mine in the snow and rain, uphill both ways!

:smile: Just commenting on the moderate climb remark. There and back would be zero elevation change.

Is that 800 total burned, or 800 additional burned, compared to being sedentary instead.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    The calories sound about right. My bike commute is about 17 km each way (just slightly longer) and wit a power meter it was just over 400 cal each way (relatively flat ride) I miss doing it but there’s been construction on a bridge that I have to cross and no more bike lanes until it’s finished.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I don't ride it that much. I swim two days, run two days, and ride two days. Some of the rides are commutes. I don't have the energy to do two things on the same day!

800kcsls is the "plus-up" I get for riding. I like that part!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    I'm envious. Garmin gave me about 500 gross calories for biking 25 miles (and on a heavy hybrid bike at that) - 380 calories net of RMR. 🤷‍♀️

No power meter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    No power meter, but I'm sure Garmin is underestimating my cycling calories overall. I might get something like 800 calories on a 70km ride. Would need to have a look whether it was gross or net, but as I'm geocaching while cycling I stop ever now and then and hence these rides tend to be rather long.