Spa day: yay or nay?

Options
Lietchi
Lietchi Posts: 6,116 Member
In another thread, people were mentioning a spa day (massage, facial, mani, pedi...) as a potential reward to oneself for reaching a certain weight loss goal.
I just thought that sounded like torture, not a reward 😄
Curious to see what the general MFP population thinks!

Spa day: yay or nay? 22 votes

Yes, I love spa days, I've had them before and I'd do it again.
50%
ilfaithcwolfman13mehshell420MelG7777herblovinmomDunkinNDeadliftsjoandumas42ElMeroKeeQue___Tams___AllaboutDaCakehannabrant 11 votes
Yes, I've never had a spa day, but they sound wonderful.
13%
StarryNight37Sammi_x_starrygirlari 3 votes
Nope, had one, hated it, never again.
4%
Alinouveau2 1 vote
Nope, I've never had one, but it does not appeal to me at all.
31%
ythannahpaperpuddingLietchiMsCzarMargitdthesawyerbunchSett2023 7 votes
In between (neither love or hate, or only like some parts)
0%
Other opinion
0%

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    My vote is "Other" because I enjoy all those things (deep tissue massages, manis, pedis, etc.), but I prefer to do them separately, spread out over time. Some of that is due to cost, but mainly because I'd much rather do each separately (yes, even manis and pedis are done on a different schedule because that works better for me).

But, yes to either using them as a "reward" if that's where you're at, or just as a part of routine self-care, which is my preference.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm not super keen on being touched by strangers, even if it's supposed to feel nice, so a massage isn't my idea of fun. I need to use super mega hypoallergenic products to avoid contact dermatitis so no facial, thanks. And I'd destroy a professional manicure too quickly to make it worthwhile.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    No from me

I do not like 'touchy things' like pedicures, manicures, facials, massages and this would not be a reward for me at all.

I do like spas - if a holiday place has a spa, husband and I like to go in it - but that isnt what is meant here.

However I agree with the principle of finding non food rewards to motivate yourself - this just wouldn't be the one for me.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,213 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Nope, had one, hated it, never again.
    Not my cup of tea. Done it before and it always seems like a waste of time. I'd rather be active, go for a hike or even workout.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Nope. Totally unappealing.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Spa days or just individual spa services can be great ways to feel better about my body/celebrate physical accomplishments that also make me look better. This can contribute to a better sense of well being, even if you aren’t feeling great for some reason. Having a good haircut, clean and nicely polished nails (I keep mine short and natural looking even if getting mani/pedis) or getting a facial or massage that releases tension or clears away built up dirt and gunk from my pores all contribute positive energy that also make feel good about continuing to go to the gym, pilates, and just generally want to get out of bed in the morning and show up for the world instead of rolling over and hiding my head under the covers. That said, I don’t have that many opportunities to indulge in treats like these at the moment.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 542 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Yes. I do foot care on my birthday and massages as much as possible due to my aching body from martial arts. This compliments my consistent visits to the chiropractor. Facials twice a month.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,116 Member
    Options
    I'm quite surprised to see it's quite even-stevens, I'm not a minority it seems :smile:

To answer my own question: the general idea of having strangers touching me is just a big no no.

I have adult acne, which I work very hard at covering up, basically only one or two people see me without concealer. So facials, I think not (and I'd rather not risk even more acne if my skin reacts badly).

Mani/pedi: meh, I don't really see what could be enjoyable. My cuticles are fine the way they are, don't touch them 😋 and nail polish/fake nails/gel nails etc aren't really my thing. (disclaimer: my knowledge of mani/pedis is based on TV, lol)

Massages appeal to me most (love them from my BF) but I've only ever had a shiatsu massage from a professional (massage with clothes on!). Naked massage? Not unless they paid me (a lot) :mrgreen:

Yes, I have issues 🤪
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love them. We have one booked in August for our anniversary. Our package will include one nights lodging in a garden view king room with patio, AM horseback riding or hike, 75 minute couples massage, and unlimited use of the natural hot springs on the resort premises (as well as other activities). Dining options are separate. My wife will likely get a mani/pedi the following morning before brunch...I don't mind them, but I can take them or leave them so I'll likely spend the morning with more soaking in the springs. Neither of us are particularly into facials.

I get a deep tissue massage (and dry needling and cupping as necessary) pretty much every 4-6 weeks, but that's at a sports medicine and rehabilitation clinic...so that atmosphere is quite different from a spa resort.
  • thesawyerbunch
    thesawyerbunch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I voted no. Manicures and pedicures have never appealed to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If anyone is ever in the Santa Fe area, this place is the bomb spa resort...

https://ojosparesorts.com/ojo-santa-fe/
  • DunkinNDeadlifts
    DunkinNDeadlifts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I avoid rewards with weightloss goals because it's tempting *for me* to fall into the mentality of complacency afterwards. But in regards to spa days, they are relaxing and a great way to reset mentally. I get my nails done in the winter (not summer bc gardening ruins them 🥲) and it's always nice to get away for a few hours and be pampered. But I'm also just as happy to take a few hours to myself and shoot some hoops or go on a hike. I think most people go to the spa for relaxation, but if it doesn't sound fun to you, don't go. 😊 If you want to reward yourself after reaching a goal do it with something you love!
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I voted that I love spa days, but honestly, I would rather break up treatments over separate days. The one time I had a full day at a spa (my husband won a trip to Pinehurst including golf or spa treatments, he chose the former, I chose the latter, since we had small children and wouldn’t be able to play together.) In one afternoon I had a facial (which was fine), a massage (one of the best ever), and finally a mud wrap treatment (which was incredibly boring, as I just had to lie there wrapped up like a mummy.) I do get manicures and pedicures every month or so, but other spa treatments are pretty rare. I would love to get a massage every month (or every other month) but it’s more like every other year.
  • TatianaHensley
    TatianaHensley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Totally on the fence about the spa rewards! By the way, I'm gearing up for a trip to Pompano Beach, FL, and I'm a total spa enthusiast. So, any seasoned travelers or locals here with spa recommendations in the area? I'm all ears for your favorite spots or any hidden gems you've discovered. Excited to indulge in some relaxation while in Pompano Beach! Share your spa wisdom, please!
  • TatianaHensley
    TatianaHensley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Totally on the fence about the spa rewards! By the way, I'm gearing up for a trip to Pompano Beach, FL, and I'm a total spa enthusiast. So, any seasoned travelers or locals here with spa recommendations in the area? I'm all ears for your favorite spots or any hidden gems you've discovered. Excited to indulge in some relaxation while in Pompano Beach! Share your spa wisdom, please!
    I'm a newbie in this, and my friends advised me to check out planetmassage.com. I'm all ears for your favorite spots or any hidden gems you've discovered.