Cooking For One

Options
I cook only for my self and I am a bit of a picky eater, and the foods I do like usually go bad on my counter top or in my fridge. I find it hard to cook for my self and especially hard to try new recipes. My fear is that I wont like them and will spend so much money making them for nothing. I have read many cook books and still am afraid to make the recipes. My own solution to this is take out food, which lies heavy in my stomach and makes me not want to work out afterwards. Is there anyone out there that could give me advice fro cooking for my self??:embarassed:

Replies

• Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Don't worry experiment! half or quarter recipes so they're suitable for one that way you wont need to spend a lot on ingredients and wont have left overs and if you find something you like feel free to make the full recipe and freeze any leftovers if there is too much if you make something you don't like give it to family/friends they'll maybe return the favour in the future too! :smile:
    Don't be scared just give it a shot. It'll work out cheaper than take aways in the long run!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking for one. Most times I get lazy and that's how I end up eating out. Heck, I was so unmotivated last night that I dumped 3 cups of raw spinach into a bowl, measured out some Ranch dressing, and that was going to be dinner. Had Jennie-O Italian Sausage in the freezer so I tossed one link into a pan. Cooking for one does suck. I've tried crock pot meals and casseroles but I get bored after the 2nd day. I hate the prep as much as anything. I don't even deal with recipes - no patience and that whole meal prep thing.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself and don't have any problems. I buy frozen veggies that way they don't go bad so fast. Basically, just try the recipes. You will never know unless you try it. And you can always adjust recipes if you don't want to make as much as it calls for, just cut the ingredients in half or something. There are many places to shop and spend less money if you're worried about that too. Farmer's Market, Dollar stores and the such.