How to eat well without support from spouse?

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My husband wasn't into the healthy eating thing either, but I cooked healthy things that he likes, and the problem resolved itself over time.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Treat her like a child, you say "If I make the food you will eat what I made", nobody got time to be making everyone separate meals (unless its a medical need)..if she dont like it then let her see what she eats.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My other half is similar. "Where's the chips" is his usual reaction to a healthy dinner! I just cook separately for myself now, sometimes will make enough for two days in a row, however I will try and fuse our different meals over time - he could do with eating more healthy too!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Treat her like a child, you say "If I make the food you will eat what I made", nobody got time to be making everyone separate meals (unless its a medical need)..if she dont like it then let her see what she eats.

:huh:

OP: Why not talk to your spouse about this?
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it's kind of understandable that she'd be annoyed that you've suddenly turned the family's eating habits upside down and are taking her along for the ride whether she likes it or not, especially if it makes things more complicated or difficult. Perhaps she needs a bit more of a transition - find ways to eat out occasionally still and just learn to order more healthfully, find healthier take-out alternatives, and find ways to make healthy meals that you can both enjoy. What did you cook before? What are you cooking now? What does she like to eat? Can you find healthier ways to make her favorite foods, or to get her involved in cooking with you?
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Okay Brother another oarsman is joining in....my wife and I both work. I make about half of my own foods during the week, and she or may not eat them. To balance things out I'll cook two evening meals twice a week for her and the kiddos, what they want not what I'll probably eat.

You can start in several ways; first though have the conversation about what tempts you--baked goods for example--two weeks ago kid's made brownies, left half a pan out, and I threw them away. So, start with the things you know to avoid. Second, start having conversations about healthier options-baked steel cut oats instead of cereal, and see what happens.

WHo knows maybe she'll start with a small goal of her own, and she may join you in your lifestyle change; good luck, but just in case, make sure the man cave has cable, air conditioning, protein, you know, the essentials.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Hope this wasn't serious.

My hubby isn't quite there yet, and not sure he ever will be - I make some healthy options for him, he makes what he wants on other nights. Sometimes, there isn't an easy way out but maybe talking will find a happy medium somewhere.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My husband loves my cooking, healthy or not. Problem is when dinner's over he starts grazing in the kitchen. I've gotten rid of 99% of unhealthy stuff in the house, but he finds ways. i.e. the other night I sauteed some chicken breasts & vegs in olive oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce. After dinner he took some sandwich bread and wiped the pot clean with with it....like 3 or 4 slices of bread. He's active duty Army and very fit because he has to be, but I'm afraid that when he retires he's going to blow up like a balloon!

OP: just how bad is your wife's diet, and how extreme are the changes you've made to yours? Could be she's just having trouble adjusting.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Easy as 1,2,3.

1. Do your own shopping.
    2. Do your own cooking.
    3. Do your own eating.

Mightn't not be that easy. I'm thinking maybe they used to enjoy dining out and now hubby doesn't want to?

I'm hoping the OP offers more info on exactly what is annoying his wife ~ at this point we'd just be jumping to an assumption that it's because he doesn't shop/cook.

You are pretty much on the right track. We used to go out a lot, get pizza, grab a few beers, desserts, etc. Also, at home we ate like crap a lot of the time too (hence why I'm on this site!). Now I'm eating healthy and she's not all in. We have busy lives so it's hard to make separate meals. Also I did a lot of the cooking in the past so now I'm making healthy meals.

Unfortunately.... this looks like a maturity issue. Sometimes it takes a health scare to bring some people around.

I would just keep doing what you're doing, be nice but don't apologize for choosing health, and hope she will come around.
  • monbot
    monbot Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered that it's not what is being eaten, it's the fact that they don't go out for dinner at all anymore, and spend that time bonding together?

Go to restaurants with healthy choices or find other activities to do together. Changes are hard for everyone - help her accept the change in your lifestyle.