When Negativity Works

Options
We’re always encouraged to be positive. We’re chastised for being negative. But we contend that sometimes going negative can help your diet and fitness efforts. Behold a list of Negative Thoughts, Deeds, and Situations that can when added up could actually subtract pounds. (Math brain types just ignore that last sentence it’s bizarro for sure.)

Ten Ways to Use Negativity to Subtract Pounds

1. Affix a picture on the refrigerator door of you in that ill advised tankini.

2. Tuck the tag for your latest larger sized pair of Old Navy shorts in your wallet.

3.Listen to AC/DC on your headphones while running on the treadmill. AC/DC inspired aggression will help you intensify your workout!

4. Recall that time (unrelated to diet or exercise) someone told you ”you’ll never be able to do that.” Then remind yourself how you DID! Yeah successfully mail merging the spreadsheet with the labels is a victory. So there.

Read the other six ways negativity works....http://doesthisblogmakeuslookfat.com/2010/04/13/when-negativity-works/

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Thank you :flowerforyou:

I shall try to add a little negativity into my life...for all the best reasons :flowerforyou:
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I understand the concept but I think those first 2 are pretty harsh. I have the world reminding me on a daily basis of how big I am....I dont need that negativity coming from me too.

You'd be amazed at how many people feel the need to tell you how fat you are when you're obese. Maybe they think obese people just dont know how big we really are or...we're blind.

Either way, I wouldnt subject myself to more negativity :)
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    I agree ;) I already know how fat I am .. and when I am couting my calories
    I do not need to look at a fat picture of myself.
    That may make me eat more!!!

Just sayin :wink: :laugh:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I like the picture idea, and in fact have one posted of me at my heaviest. When you are quite heavy you tend to not look down in the mirror, or just don't have floor length mirrors around. Why subject yourslef to it when you already feel big. I started this journey by purchasing 2 floor length mirrors, and posting my "wow am I really that big" picture. I had avoided my reflection for a long time and only focused on my face, or hair, but not on the whole picture of what I looked like.
    Until I embraced that and accepted who I was, and what I had become, I couldn't make the connection to want to change.

I look at that picture all the time now as a reminder that I will NEVER go back to that. I don't view that as a negative at all, to me it is pure motivation . . . motivating reality.
  • SemiSweetRae
    Options
    Ya, my boyfriend took some pics of my scantly clad the other night, in reviewing them I had a strong need to excise the contents of my stomach. I really thought my stretch marks had gone away more then they apparently had. It's amazing what bad lighting and the wrong angles can do for not only my cottage cheese thighs, but cottage cheese tummy as well.

I do however prefer to think of myself wearing the new tank dress that I just bought that is amazingly flattering and the perfect shade of green...I look soooo great (even when I sit down)

But we are all here for the same reason, we are all different body shapes and weights but we know that we need to get our *kitten* together and get healthy. I have met some truly amazing and beautiful women on here and I'm super proud of all you ladies!

On a side note the thing about the mail-merge and the spreadsheet is HILARIOUS because I have actually been in that situation. Luckily my co-workers know not to pay attention to me anymore when I whoop and hollar and laugh...it is all about the small victories!

Love all of ya'll! Have a super healthy and productive day!
  • LaughItOff
    LaughItOff Posts: 33
    Options
    Mainly it's about motivating yourself however you can. That's why you should remind yourself of an accomplishment that's not related to body/food/exercise. Use that victory to power yourself.