house hold items as weights what do you use

Options
today I was playing with my 8/12 month son and started doing lunges, he laughed so much so I kept doing them great motivation.... what are some of the things around the house you use crazy or not

Replies

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    great question! Look forward to some replies...when I first started working out again, I actually used pillar candles for hand weight resistance, lol. My first set of hand weights (3lbs) were too much...
  • fitnessgal201
    Options
    I fill up water bottles or use cans of tomatoes ^^
  • KarateMadMum
    Options
    4pint/2ltr milk bottles... they have handles that make them easier to grip.. you can fill them with water at different levels and when you are that good you need more.. you can start filling it with sand making it heavier
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ditto. i live in nicaragua so good workout equipment isn't exactly readily available. for weights, i fill empty (liquor lol) bottles with water and sand. i have to walk about 50 (uneven) stairs to get up to my house, so i use those for when i do steps. i remember my dad using a complex contraption of bungee cords for strength training a few years ago, so i'm thinking of trying that next

and yeah haha! every time i get on the floor to do sit ups etc one of my cats just comes up and stares like ARE YOU BROKEN it's too cute
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, I use a box of trash bags for a yoga block, a belt for a yoga strap, and a pillow rolled up longwise and tied with string for a bolster. I really got it goin on when it's time for underwear yoga.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    tires left over from old car
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my mothers favorite is a 2 liter of soda!! Dictionary's are also a great stair stepper if you don't have one. If all else fails you can always PUSH mow the yard. I do that once a week to supplement my daily walking.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I remember someone mentioning using a backpack filled with books for doing weighted squats. I think that is a great idea!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    ditto. i live in nicaragua so good workout equipment isn't exactly readily available. for weights, i fill empty (liquor lol) bottles with water and sand. i have to walk about 50 (uneven) stairs to get up to my house, so i use those for when i do steps. i remember my dad using a complex contraption of bungee cords for strength training a few years ago, so i'm thinking of trying that next

and yeah haha! every time i get on the floor to do sit ups etc one of my cats just comes up and stares like ARE YOU BROKEN it's too cute

My cat uses floor exercises as an excuse to pet herself on my hands or to rub on my head. If I'm doing yoga bridges she plays London Bridge under my legs. Cats!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    my son. he's 50 lbs :) ...for fun he'll sit on my back for weighted planks
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    today I was playing with my 8/12 month son and started doing lunges, he laughed so much so I kept doing them great motivation.... what are some of the things around the house you use crazy or not

My lil' brother lived in a small town and used a broom stick with buckets of water on the end to do curls
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hunt's Thick and rich tomato sauce cans for weights (beginner) and an old belt off a housecoat for some of the yoga stretches.. love the trash bag box for the block idea!! Great thread op!:bigsmile: