Losing 2kg (5 pounds)

Options
I want to lose 5 pounds in 16 days. Is this realistic?

Replies

• Sammi_x_
    Sammi_x_ Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Hi Sarah, This is a very realistic amount. The healthy amount is meant to be 2lbs a week(Steadily) So you will be fine :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Depends on some factors such as consistency and the amount of weight you have to lose. But 3-5 lbs in that time is realistic. If you don't care if it's just fat and mainly doing this for an event, you can deplete water weight by restricting carbs. But if you do this, increase sodium intake as well because you lose electrolytes when you reduce carbs
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight. The less fat you have the more difficult it’ll be
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    If it's a one time quick thing, then all done, probably fine, if no other major sources of physical/psychological stress alongside.

If you plan to put it on repeat over a long term, probably not a good idea unless you're currently well over 200 pounds and not extra tall, i.e., severely obese.

I'd never do it personally, because I don't enjoy misery, but that's not a reason someone else shouldn't do it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You can lose that amount in water weight fairly easily by sharply restricting carbs. Losing that amount in fat means almost starving yourself, unless you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    As you are eating 1200 cals a day, trying out low/lower carb, and not always eating back your exercise calories, the only thing you could do is lower your carbs further without dropping your cals or upping your exercise.

This will give you a water weight loss. Which is the only safe thing for you in this time line. If you drop your cals further for the next 16 days you may reach your goal of losing the 5 lbs but you may be too burnt out and tired to enjoy yourself.

If this goal is for a dressed event maybe get some shape wear, if for a beach event get a nice floaty cover up to wear with your swimwear.

No one but you will know if you have or have not lost 5 lbs so go enjoy whatever your weight.

Cheers, h.