Insanity + diet = why im not losing weight?

Options
Hi!

I'm about complete my first month of Insanity, at the same time I changed my habits. I'm eating mainly clean (about 1300 calories/day), Im tryng cut on carbs (my guilty pleasure) and plus to Insanity I do 8 kilometres of walking (about 40 minutes).

So, I dont understand why I not losing weight because I think I'm doing the right things. The only difference I see is that my belly is smaller (but have facility in this part usally) and my endurance is greater.

I'm trying change my habits and adopt a healthy lifestyle (forever) but thats its so hard! Help me :) THANK YOU SO MUCH

Replies

• Hungry_Gurl
    Hungry_Gurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Maybe you are building muscle.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Try eating back your exercise calories. If your MFP goal is 1300 calories, that should be what you're NETTING after eating those calories back. It's not supposed to be under the 1300 calories. By undercutting (not eating them back), you're creating too large of a deficit and not giving your body enough nutrition.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss, so there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? Would you be willing to open your diary?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

No. You can't build muscle on a deficit.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    wouldn't be building muscle on 1300 calories. more than likely if your doing insanity you aren't eating enough at 1300 calories.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss, so there is a miscalculation somewhere along the line. Do you log accurately? Do you weigh everything? Would you be willing to open your diary?

^^^^This. If you're at a real deficit you should be losing weight. You either aren't properly logging (this means weighing everything...yes a pain!) and maybe not burning as much as you thought. Insanity is TOUGH but short. I burn around 300 calories in a workout. It is easy to forget to add or miscalculate 300 calories in a dayl VERY easy. You aren't building enough muscle to mask a fat loss....and not eating enough isn't going to make you stop losing...probably a miscalculation!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I lost nothing in the first two months of doing the right thing and then 8 pounds fell off. Hang in there. This is a lifestyle not a sprint.
  • Hungry_Gurl
    Hungry_Gurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    wouldn't be building muscle on 1300 calories. more than likely if your doing insanity you aren't eating enough at 1300 calories.
    Sorry on my phone, read the 1300 wrong.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    From what I hear, none of the people I've seen starving themselves while on Insanity have lost any weight.
  • Mianew
    Options
    I changed my diet back in Jan. I lost 40 lbs., but have hit a wall for the past 3 to 4 months. Today I just started Insanity and I am going to start tracking my calories again, because I stopped for the past couple of months. I think Insanity is more about how you feel and how your body changes more then the weight loss. I do feel your pain though. I hate not seeing results on the scale. LOL
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I had this problem I was told I wasn't eating enough, it early days but maybe you're in the same situation, especially if you don't have much to lose.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That's not true. A newbie absolutely can gain muscle while losing weight by maintaining proper protein intake and lifting weights. It takes at least 1, most likely 2, years of weight training before you cannot make muscle gains on a calorie deficit because up until that point your rate of synthesis will be greater than your rate of loss (this is assuming a gradual weightloss plan of no more than TDEE-500). You also must be at sub 10% bodyfat for a man or sub 15% bodyfat for a woman for that to happen because with anything more than that, your body will use calories from stored fat as energy to synthesize new muscle from the protein you are eating.

However, you're unlikely to build a lot of muscle by doing insanity. It's a cardio/endurance workout, not a strength building workout.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm about complete my first month of Insanity, at the same time I changed my habits. I'm eating mainly clean (about 1300 calories/day), Im tryng cut on carbs (my guilty pleasure) and plus to Insanity I do 8 kilometres of walking (about 40 minutes).

So, I dont understand why I not losing weight because I think I'm doing the right things. The only difference I see is that my belly is smaller (but have facility in this part usally) and my endurance is greater.

I'm trying change my habits and adopt a healthy lifestyle (forever) but thats its so hard! Help me :) THANK YOU SO MUCH
    My advice would be:

-Set your activity level to 'sedentary' when using MFP's daily calorie estimate.
    -Do not count your walking toward your net total calorie intake. Walking is part of your sedentary TDEE.
    -Wait at least 3-4 weeks before you count insanity toward your net calorie intake. You might be getting too tired or not doing the movements in a way that burns the calories you think you are until then.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you started exercising then you could be retaining water/glycogen in the muscle - it's normal. Give it a few more weeks to stabilize. Make sure you are tracking acutely and weighing your food where possible. I would also suggest checking the calorie target as 1,300 appears a bit low.
  • raquelpires
    Options
    Yes! I'm 5'7 (170 cm) and about 190 lbs (86 kg). I need to lose 33 lbs (15 kg) min. : S
  • raquelpires
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Maybe I need to eat more...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    1) Open your diary so people can give a more informed opinion

2) You may be over estimating calories burned if you are eating them back already

3) You may not be eating enough calories in general for health weight loss

4) Many people on Insanity do not see the scale move much. Instead they see changes in body shape, measurements, and how clothes fit
  • heatherak
    Options
    From what I hear, none of the people I've seen starving themselves while on Insanity have lost any weight.

Curious who you know starving themselves on Insanity. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    NOT building muscle on calorie deficit and a cardio program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    That's not true. A newbie absolutely can gain muscle while losing weight by maintaining proper protein intake and lifting weights. It takes at least 1, most likely 2, years of weight training before you cannot make muscle gains on a calorie deficit because up until that point your rate of synthesis will be greater than your rate of loss (this is assuming a gradual weightloss plan of no more than TDEE-500). You also must be at sub 10% bodyfat for a man or sub 15% bodyfat for a woman for that to happen because with anything more than that, your body will use calories from stored fat as energy to synthesize new muscle from the protein you are eating.
    While a newbie can build a little muscle from being untrained, it AIN'T gonna last a year or two while in calorie deficit. With the other exceptions of a returning athlete after a long lay off and an obese person, the average person trying to put on muscle would need a calorie surplus. Gaining muscle MEANS adding mass which means adding weight. You don't add weight on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition