Not every day is gonna be good

Options
jsmestflowers
jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
edited June 2023 in Motivation and Support
I had a pretty crappy day yesterday.
My "Dawn effect kicked in" and I got a morning blood sugar spike, not horrible (111) but still there (lessened by my Hobbit drink, the night before, but still).
Then I had 2 tuna fish sandwiches for dinner (Hero Bread) totally within my calorie and carb range... but spike! 145! I felt it wash over me, and it sucked.
So now it's time for my daily treadmill slog, I REALLY didn't want to do it, I was TIRED.
That was where my motivational tactic kicked in, and its simple "Have to do it"
So, I drug my tired spiking self up on that treadmill and suffered thru it.
I tell you I was a pitiful sight :)

Talk about dragging along, head down, muttering profanities under my breath. I reminded myself of Stinkmeaner from the Boondocks! "This is a bunch of ol' bull****" :)

I didn't like it one bit, not getting up there to do it, not doing it, and I was still not liking it when I finished. But I did it, 'cause I have to.

We are all going to have days like that, this was not my first one, and it won't be my last one either. Yeah, some days I am gonna channel Stinkmeaner, but I am gonna get it done.

Motivation - when you're all excited and ready to roll you don't need it, the action is its own reward. Real motivation kicks in when it's the last thing you want to do. For me, "I want" motivation only go so far (cause there are absolutely days I do not want to :)
I found my "have to" reason (unfortunately, T2D diagnosis) my motivational suggestion is that you look for one as well :) We all have them, just have to dig a bit.

I should add, motivation is a personal thing, what works best for a given person is what works best, just sharing how I personally get it done, hope it helps, but if you have a different way of looking at it that is working, more power to ya!

BTW I highly recommend against T2D "motivation" if you can help it, it sucks. :)

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,289 Member
    Options
    Yup, 'I'm enthusiastic, ra ra' motivation is a poor foundation to build on, like quicksand!
    Your true motivation (health!) combined with habit and the occasional exercise of self discipline is much better 🙂

I don't propose that people choose a strategy where constant self discipline/ forcing yourself is necessary, but self discipline is like a muscle, exercising it makes it stronger.
    So it does get easier.

All in all, it sounds like a great day even if it was bad one, well done!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty crappy day yesterday.
    I didn't like it one bit, not getting up there to do it, not doing it, and I was still not liking it when I finished. But I did it, 'cause I have to.

Hey, I've been doing pretty well the last couple, then yesterday I had a crappy day too. Something in the air. We survived (thrived a little) and we are back again today. Great work.
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Yup, 'I'm enthusiastic, ra ra' motivation is a poor foundation to build on, like quicksand!
    Your true motivation (health!) combined with habit and the occasional exercise of self discipline is much better 🙂

I don't propose that people choose a strategy where constant self discipline/ forcing yourself is necessary, but self discipline is like a muscle, exercising it makes it stronger.
    So it does get easier.

All in all, it sounds like a great day even if it was bad one, well done!

Your spot on correct!!!!