Left over calories

Options
srichburg65
srichburg65 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
When I log my exercise calories from my Apple Watch which included walking to work then walking home on breaks and for lunch I usually have 500-1000 calories left does this hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    If your Apple watch is accurate**, then no, not eating those calories will make you lose weight faster . . . unless under-eating eventually saps your energy level, makes you weaker, makes you rest more, etc.

The thing is, losing weight faster isn't necessarily a good thing: It can increase health risks, impair appearance if that's important to you (things like thinning hair & more), plus make it more likely that you'll eventually have deprivation-triggered over-eating episodes, or even make it likely that you'll give up altogether because it's too hard to stay the course.

** Fitness trackers just estimate calorie burn, they don't measure it. They can be wrong. They tend to be close for most people, like any research-based statistical estimate. But they can be materially inaccurate for a few people, high or low. Experience will tell.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Eating more will not assist Fatloss. The actual results of the calories you’ve been taking in after after 4-6 weeks will let you know if you’re on the right track or not. If no loss or an extremely small loss means your weekly calories are too high.

Those apps and calculators are known to be inaccurate plus add in inaccurate calorie counting and tracking (you’ll never be perfectly accurate) and you’ll have to just estimate things and review your results over time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I don't know how Apple watch works, but if you sync fitness trackers to MFP, you will be sure to get NET calories. Otherwise, the calorie number might include your calories just from being alive, when what you want to eat back is just the calories you earned from exercise.