why don't I look thinner than I do?

Options
I've lost 20 lbs. My stomach IS noticeably smaller, and my pants are loose enough that I have to go another notch closer in on my belt, but I still can't fit into the next waist size down (although I do have one pair of shorts that was too snug and fits OK now)...also, my, um, man boobs haven't really shrunk...I'd think 20 lbs would be more noticeable!!!

What have been your experiences? do you find all your weight seems to drop off in one spot first? I'm a 32 y.o. male FYI.

Replies

• MakeLifeBright
    Options
    I have lost what I think is a lot of weight :wink:
    Yet, I do not see it. Call me crazy.. but to me I look almost the same .
    It's strange. I did not go down a pant size for awhile. In 9 months I have went down 4 sizes ..
    It took me 5 months to go down one size.
    Every one is different. We lose weight different ways. I can not explain it.
    Just keep doing your best, have patience.. and you will get where you want to be!!!
    Congrats on already losing 20!! That's great!!:flowerforyou:
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I have lost what I think is a lot of weight :wink:
    Yet, I do not see it. Call me crazy.. but to me I look almost the same .
    It's strange. I did not go down a pant size for awhile. In 9 months I have went down 4 sizes ..
    It took me 5 months to go down one size.
    Every one is different. We lose weight different ways. I can not explain it.
    Just keep doing your best, have patience.. and you will get where you want to be!!!
    Congrats on already losing 20!! That's great!!:flowerforyou:

4 sizes is a lot!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go down a pants size until I had lost 40-50 pounds. It's different for everybody, we all lose and gain in different places. I did notice a signifigant difference at 20 pounds lost, but like you I was shocked it wasn't more of a difference. Which just showed me that the 15-20 that I thought I needed to lose all this time, was WAY more. Keep up the good work though, the huge difference will come gradually. I take pictures at every 10 pound loss and beleive me, you can really see a difference by doing that.
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Thanx .. It is not easy for me , but I know I HAVE TO CONTINUE ON =0)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Good grief - I have the same issue. But yesterday was the first time I noticed that my belly "flap" lifted and is much tighter. I was a size 14 before, sometimes a 16. Now I wear 14 very comfortably and recently bought a 12 that is also comfortable.

What I think is happening is that you are losing the visceral fat first (most important) - so while it may not show right away, eventually you will start trimming down quite significantly.

Don't give up hope! I've been at this over a year!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, but then again, I have a lot of weight to lose (Started 315, down to 298, -17 lbs). I can feel and see in my clothes that my boobs, tummy, butt (!!!) and face are smaller, but overall I don't really look different, although I am down one pants size and things that were WAYYY too tight are now very loose. Only 1 person has commented on my weight loss---my boss. She said she can see it in my face. I figure the more you have to lose andyou only lose a small %, the less noticeable it is.

I'm glad I'm not alone!!!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I think for me it was around the 30-40 lbs. lost that people started really seeing my weight loss. Around that point was when I started loosing weight around the face. Keep going you're doing great.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs. My stomach IS noticeably smaller, and my pants are loose enough that I have to go another notch closer in on my belt, but I still can't fit into the next waist size down (although I do have one pair of shorts that was too snug and fits OK now)...also, my, um, man boobs haven't really shrunk...I'd think 20 lbs would be more noticeable!!!

What have been your experiences? do you find all your weight seems to drop off in one spot first? I'm a 32 y.o. male FYI.

Everyone loses differently and in different areas. And I guess it'll depend on where you carry your weight and where you've lost it. Men typically won't see a big change in their pant sizes since they tend to wear their jeans low on their hips with the belly above. I don't know if that's the case for you, but if your "dunlap" is smaller, then you're on the right track!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I lost off my face, arms, neck, legs and butt first. Oh, and boobs. It took forever for my belly to change. Finally I was able to drop pant sizes from a 24 to a 14. Took forever though so hang in there, when it does happen it happens quick.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options

Everyone loses differently and in different areas. And I guess it'll depend on where you carry your weight and where you've lost it. Men typically won't see a big change in their pant sizes since they tend to wear their jeans low on their hips with the belly above. I don't know if that's the case for you, but if your "dunlap" is smaller, then you're on the right track!

I was once a 34" waist, and now I'm a 42", I can't imagine that I can't get down at least close to that size again if I lose enough. Also as I gained weight my inseam got shorter, not because I actually shrunk, but because my big gut pushes the waist down lower on my hips.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I had lost down to 18lbs then gained 6 of it back last week after been ill for 2 weeks and drinking gatorade. I haven't noticed a drop in pants size yet either......nor have I gotten any comments on my success either.

I know it will take more time as we all lose in different places.
  • Always_lil_j
    Options
    Each person is different. If you have more weight to lose, it will take longer to notice the weightloss. 20 lbs is an awesome accomplishment. Keep going, dont let the fact that you dont see it in a pant size bring you down. Every lb you lose helps your body is so many ways. It will help you live a longer life. Keep it up, you are doing an amazing job!!!
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, though I did and do have a considerable amount to lose, it wasn't until I hit 50 or 60 lbs. that I could go down a size and not until 80 or 90 lbs. that people started noticing. But now that I got over the initial hump my sizes are decreasing more rapidly and people are noticing with fewer pounds lost.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think it takes some time for your body to redistribute the weight. I find that people don't even notice that I've lost weight until about a month after I stop trying to. Try looking at some pictures of yourself before trying to lose weight and see if you notice a difference. The biggest difference I noticed was in my face.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    For me the difference was when I became serious about weights and strength training. It wasn't just about losing 50 pounds to make me feel good about my body it was the toning and strength.

Best of luck!!

D