Tracking fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    May I ask your motivation for not tracking it? I ask bc depending on what that is, you may personally be better off not tracking it.

I’ll get to that in a minute, but first to your question about whether you’ll still lose weight. That depends on your personal calorie needs. It takes 3,500 calories to lose one pound of fat. So, for example, if your body maintains its weight at 1,700 cals a day, eating 1,200 means you’ll lose about 1 pound each week (a daily 500-cal deficit x 7 days). If this is you, and you eat, say, 300 calories of unlogged fruit each day, your daily deficit would be only 200 calories. In that case, it would take you about 2.5 weeks to lose 1 pound, instead of just 1 week. This was just to give you an example to show variables to consider. You’d most likely still lose, but there’s a strong chance it would slow your pace a bit. Also, keep in mind that this example assumes that your other calories that you’ve logged were all precise. It’s likely that even conscientious loggers are a bit off at times. Adding on unlogged calories leaves less wiggle room for unintentional mis-logs.

Back to my first point about your motivations. Meticulously tracking calories isn’t for everyone. For some, a general “eat less, move more” works beautifully. At the other side of the continuum, some people do best with logging every single thing they consume, every single day. Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. Doing it in a way that’s sustainable *for you* is important. If you’d get sick of tracking calories if you had to log everything, deliberately not logging some foods would possibly be the better choice for you. Then this part of your life wouldn’t feel like such a chore to you (if that’s a kinda annoying practice to you). There are other possible issues with tracking too. For some ppl, meticulously tracking calories can trigger a feeling of being overly restricted, which exhausts them psychologically and/or triggers a binge. So there are some ppl for whom it’s not necessary and/or good to track everything. But because weight loss is a numbers game, not just a psychological process, if you go the less-meticulous tracking route, it would be a wise idea imo to do what you’ve already shown signs of: be calorie conscious of fruit. I’d personally rec tracking the fruits that are relatively high in calories and/or that you typically eat a large enough serving of to pass 80 or so calories. Some fruit, like strawberries and watermelon, are very low in calories. I eat massive servings of watermelon, and it still doesn’t add up to many calories.

So overall, I’d say do what makes the process something you don’t mind sticking with, but be aware of the math involved. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    In the world of counting calories, all calories count, simple really.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, it all adds up. Have an apple with breakfast, grapes with lunch, and some berries for dessert after dinner - that might be 250-300 calories.

I log just about everything, including the vitamins I take in the morning (20 cal a serving) and the "zero sugar" lemonade I drink (10 cal a serving). I may skip logging a slice of tomato or a handful of lettuce because I know that's likely to be super low calorie and also those are usually served at a time when I can't weigh them. But then, I don't track every single step I take, so mathematically it comes out in the wash.

Realistically everything has calories except water (and black coffee and pure tea). The lowest calorie foods are a stick of celery, a leaf of lettuce, and those little packages of salted/dried seaweed (5 cals a package). So you gotta write it all down and be honest, or else how will you know?