Too few calories? How to adjust?

Options
I'm wondering if the MFP goal of 1,200 calories for me is too low and that's why my weight loss has slowed down considerably and wavered around the same area for about two weeks.

I plugged in my stats on another website to get my TDEE and according to that, the most aggressive calorie plan I should be eating is about 1,600 calories a day.

However, I'm a little afraid to up it to 1,600 calories a day if my metabolism really has slowed down. Won't that cause me to gain weight??

I'm also debating cutting out all added sugar, but I have been very successful with weight loss in the past while still allowing myself diet ice cream bars, etc. since it's easier for me to maintain a lifestyle change that still allows me to have sweets.

Replies

• trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Try setting your weekly MFP goal to 1 lbs weekly loss and that should give you more calories.

Actually, too little calories slow your metabolism.

Good luck :)
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    However, I'm a little afraid to up it to 1,600 calories a day if my metabolism really has slowed down. Won't that cause me to gain weight??

Try doing it slowly. Add 150 to 200 calories at a time, and hold that for a couple of weeks (if you only give it one week, your weight might have fluctuated due to water retention and you won't have a good idea of actual weight loss). Once you have a feeling for whether or not you're losing at that caloric intake and what your average is, bump it up until you're averaging a pound or so per week. Sort of a 'reverse dieting' approach.

edit -
    I'm also debating cutting out all added sugar, but I have been very successful with weight loss in the past while still allowing myself diet ice cream bars, etc. since it's easier for me to maintain a lifestyle change that still allows me to have sweets.

...But, don't fix what ain't broke, I say! :D
  • JoshuaElement
    Options

Prolonged major calorie restriction (Over 25% of your maintenance restricted) will result in a slowed metabolism. How to come out of this slump is to eat a high calorie diet for 2-3 day's and you're metabolism will shape up again.
    Try doing it slowly. Add 150 to 200 calories at a time, and hold that for a couple of weeks (if you only give it one week, your weight might have fluctuated due to water retention and you won't have a good idea of actual weight loss). Once you have a feeling for whether or not you're losing at that caloric intake and what your average is, bump it up until you're averaging a pound or so per week. Sort of a 'reverse dieting' approach.

Don't do that. That's bad advice. Adding so few calories so slowly won't fix your plateau, it'll keep you in that state until your calories are greatly increased.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Don't do that. That's bad advice. Adding so few calories so slowly won't fix your plateau, it'll keep you in that state until your calories are greatly increased.

Have you got any articles supporting that? I'm not saying you're wrong, mind! My understanding was that you wanted your calories as high as possible to prevent the depressed metabolism in the first place, whether you're calorie cycling (as you recommend) or not.
  • JoshuaElement
    Options

Have you got any articles supporting that? I'm not saying you're wrong, mind! My understanding was that you wanted your calories as high as possible to prevent the depressed metabolism in the first place, whether you're calorie cycling (as you recommend) or not.

Food & Nutrition (Australia & New Zealend) 2nd edition by Mark L. Wahlqvist a requirement textbook for NUT1 & NUT2 in Australia will provide you with the required information.