Weightloss after cancer and your body is junk

Hi all! I've been on and off of MFP for many years. I'm trying to get started again, but I'm very nervous. I've been in remission from colorectal cancer for 2 years now but I still have issues that affect my mind and body. I have scar tissue built up in my stomach where my stoma was, and where a piece of my colon was removed. It gives me pain quite often. I also now have a herniated disc plus degenerative disc disease in my back. I have back pain daily! I weigh 263 pounds. I know that if I could lose a significant amount of weight that it would help releave so much stress off of my back. My doctors have been telling me this for years. I'm just afraid to start. Have any of you started a routine, with physical issues, and then gradually were able to truly build your body back up?

Replies

• emet1123
    emet1123 Posts: 6 Member
    First of all, congrats on your two years of remission. I finished my treatment for breast cancer in December so I understand how you feel completely disconnected from your body - like you have to build everything back together again.

I would recommend a couple of things:
    - speak with a dietician to help with nutrition
    - Check out the cancer recovery exercise programs in your area. My YMCA has a special program with personal trainers to help with modifications.
    - Check out Wellspring - they have online exercise videos as well as other cancer support groups
    - I’ve been part of an online 12-week exercise program / study through the University of Calgary. It’s called the EXCEL program. It’s studying the effects of physical activity on cancer patients and survivors. The workouts are live (virtual) and have lots of modifications depending on your abilities.

I hope this helps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    @mitzi2013, can I start off by being stern, with positive intent?

Your body is not junk.

Yes, it's been through a lot, and parts of it even tried to go rogue and hurt you. (I get that! I'm a survivor of stage III - locally advanced - breast cancer myself, bilateral mastectomies, 6 months of chemo, 6 weeks radiation, 7.5 years of estrogen agonists/antagonists. And I know that abdominal/digestive cancers are more brutal in treatment than breast cancer, because some friends/relatives have been through that. I empathize. But that phase is done.)

Here's the thing: What would you do without your body? It makes many wonderful things possible. It has challenges now, but (IMO) the important thing about challenges is how to get over, around, through or otherwise past them, and get to a better place.

I'm not Pollyanna. It's not "all good things are possible", but it's pretty much true that better things are always possible with canny analysis, effort, commitment, patience, and an open mind.

It's been a while - diagnosed in 2000 - but after treatment I recognized I needed to get more active if I wanted to feel strong, vital - maybe even happy? - ever again.

I'd been quite sedentary before that, with high stress and various physical problems: Class 1 obese, recently widowed, and chemo especially physically/cognitively depleted me big time. I had some physical-function issues from scar tissue (surgical areas that were radiation-treated). Then I was diagnosed as severely hypothyroid, which is fairly common after breast cancer. (Not saying that's comparable to your challenges: Exact comparatives aren't possible or realistic, I think.)

I got gradually more active, first gentle yoga classes a couple of times a week, then a few of the most beneficial yoga exercises at home daily, then some experimentation with other group classes (starting easy!)

Later, I took a wonderful weight training for women class (like personal training in a group, where I learned a good personal routine - not one of those synchronized fast-paced group "one size fits all" things). That was a lucky find.

Ultimately - a couple of years in - I stumbled into a breast cancer survivors rowing team, a biiiiiig stretch for me . . . and got addicted. It changed my life.

This "picked last in gym class" kid slowly, slowly turned into a senior athlete, competing (not always unsuccessfully in age-group categories) in machine and on-water rowing. So surprising!

Like I said, I'm not Pollyanna. I have limitations, things I can't safely do. (I also have after-effects from treatment, both cognitive and physical.) But I've figured out that I can find things I can safely do, and get stronger, fitter, healthier. My magic (rowing) isn't your magic, I understand.

You have limitations, too, and they're different from mine. You can figure it out, too - I'm confident. Improvement is possible, if you commit to it: You can surprise yourself. Your body is your ally now, but it's up to you to figure out how to maximize that alliance. IME, it's challenging, but so, so worthwhile.

My life - my quality of life - is so much better than my younger self would ever have dreamed for myself at age 67.

I'm cheering for you. I'll help you in any way I can, within limitations of my personality. But what's vital is how you look at you.

You have the potential to surprise yourself, too, if you commit to it. And I'm 100%+ cheering for you to succeed.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Thank you so much! I really want to find my "rowing." I'm hoping it will be swimming since right now that's pretty much the only thing I can actually do for any real amount of time. My amazing Granny is going to be 90 next week and goes to the gym 3 days a week. She just paid for a 6 month membership for me so that I can use the pool and other facilities whenever I want. With the new membership they are going to do a full fitness consultation and help me out with where a good place to start will be. I might even take some classes with my Granny!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    mitzi2013 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I really want to find my "rowing." I'm hoping it will be swimming since right now that's pretty much the only thing I can actually do for any real amount of time. My amazing Granny is going to be 90 next week and goes to the gym 3 days a week. She just paid for a 6 month membership for me so that I can use the pool and other facilities whenever I want. With the new membership they are going to do a full fitness consultation and help me out with where a good place to start will be. I might even take some classes with my Granny!

That sounds really wonderful: Great path to progress! If you feel up for it, come back to this thread after you've been at it for a bit and let us know how you're doing. I'm betting you'll start to feel improvements quite soon (maybe a short period of "whew!?!" first ;) ). (Granny sounds like a great influence, BTW. :) )
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

That's great!

Do let your trainer know about your medical issues and let them know you want to start slowly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 2023
    Hi all! I've been on and off of MFP for many years. I'm trying to get started again, but I'm very nervous. I've been in remission from colorectal cancer for 2 years now but I still have issues that affect my mind and body. I have scar tissue built up in my stomach where my stoma was, and where a piece of my colon was removed. It gives me pain quite often. I also now have a herniated disc plus degenerative disc disease in my back. I have back pain daily! I weigh 263 pounds. I know that if I could lose a significant amount of weight that it would help releave so much stress off of my back. My doctors have been telling me this for years. I'm just afraid to start. Have any of you started a routine, with physical issues, and then gradually were able to truly build your body back up?

The day after my major open abdominal surgery, I could only walk 10 steps at a time. The next day I did several hundred steps at a time. I worked back up to a few miles, then twisted my ankle, and aggravated that during a move.

I recently joined a gym. I walk for 5 minutes, then do something else - bike for 5 min, row for 2 min, or elliptical for 2 min, then another 5 minutes walking, until I've walked 20 minutes total. I'd row or bike longer, but have an issue with my knee on my other leg. Plus I get bored. I prefer outdoor cardio, but it's too hot and/or humid for me this time of year.

The elliptical doesn't hurt anything in my legs but I despise it, and am proud of myself for getting in 2-4 minutes a visit. :lol:

I was in physical therapy for first my knee and now my ankle. He's been very helpful. Can you get a referral for physical therapy?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,322 Member
    Many of us have no excuse like you as to why we feel weak and broken down. But many of us have and do. So, you are not alone. I suggest you start with your food, eating healthy and clean...feed your body nutrients .. and move.. swim.. start slow and add an exercise or two and do them just a few times a week until you build strength and can add more reps.. or maybe one more movement.
    Starting to hard and strong could knock you on your rearend and deflate your efforts.. Good luck.