Serving sizes

Options
giacintacrna
giacintacrna Posts: 1 Member
Hi folks can anyone explain how to determine serving sizes on the recipes that are on the fitness pal app? When you hit log dairy it comes up as 1 serving but I’m having a hard time figuring out what that size is supposed to be. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• damionfonz
    damionfonz Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I just joined today, I’m having the same issue.
    I don’t have any food scales, so a lot of trail and error until I get some.

I did work out 5 table spoons of porrage is roughly 50 grams. 😊
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    If you're not entirely sure, you could look up an individual food or drink online by the maker and usually you'll get a serving size and how many ounces or grams in weight it is. Most foods that have a green checkmark by it have been verified to be correct on MFP.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Not sure how y’all mean?

A serving size, to me, is whatever I eat.

For example the roast turkey deli slices on my sandwich a moment ago were “60 calories per serving”.

The package indicated a serving was 56 grams.

I weighed out 60 grams and logged it as 1.07 servings.

I don’t care for a ton of mayonnaise, so I used 5gr. A serving is 15. Simply changed the quantity to .33

How are you having issues? Can you be a little clearer it give examples?
  • daweezer
    daweezer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am Not familiar with “grams”- that is a pain… I was looking for a way to choose how servings were listed (like cups or fractions, ounces etc)! but don’t see it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    fp1d3d45fcpu.png

If you touch “serving size” you’ll get a drop down box and can scroll for other choices, as shown above.

I can sincerely say, though, as a product of the “I’m American and we Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Metric” generation, metric rocks.

You’ll get way more consistent results baking, and it’s easier to convert serving sizes when you get used to it. I get snarky now when recipes aren’t available in metric.

Chances are your cup or tablespoon is way different than my cup or tablespoon, and those differences count when counting calories